Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Strangehold: More PS3 woes?

Okay, the subject's just a bit* tongue in cheek. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anybody checked out the demo on XBox Live? Having mixed feelings about it. The demo was entertaining but feels pretty generic. Run into a room with a ton of enemies, slow down time, kill everything, repeat. Only real novelty is some interactions with the environment like sliding down a rail while killing enemies or sliding on top of a dish cart while killing enemies. The environment is hugely destructable but sometimes in a comical way, like if you walk into a chair it'll suddenly explode into a flurry of wood chunks. Thinking I'll probably take a pass on this one with so many other great games coming out at the same time.

*Stranglehold for the PS3 has been delayed until 'at least' 3 weeks after the 360/PC releases. Midway reported earlier that the PS3 version had been delayed indefinitely. However, 1UP is also reporting that they have contacted Midway who are telling them it is still set for release 3 weeks after the PC/360 versions. Everything will probably be cleared up by tommorow.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Strangehold: More PS3 woes?

This game looks so generic and PS2ish it doesn't matter what console it comes out for. If anyone wastes money on this they need to be beaten over the head.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Harsh! In the games defense, it does have some unique stylization. It plays alot like an action movie. That gives it a bit more worth than just a bad Max Payne rip off.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM

I've heard the demo is pretty good on both systems. Unfortunately my system is waiting for its 'coffin' so I can send it back. I was thinking of trying the towel trick to get my 360 for a few days so I can dl and play the demo.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Don't bother, the demo sucks. It's basically Max Payne but without any style. Don't get me wrong, it tries hard, but it mostly comes off as goofy and gimmicky. I'll bump into a table, and suddenly I've gained momentum and am sliding across it. I'm at the bottom of some stairs and rather than run up the stairs shooting at people, you can run up the railing in the middle instead, like I'm playing a FPS version of Tony Hawk. There's something to be said for simplicity and elegance, and at least in the demo, it had neither.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 PM

The game is a sequel to one of the most crazy over the top action movies, HardBoiled. It plays just like it is supposed to, like you are in the middle of an over the top action movie. For a demo it plays v well, and considering the material that spawned the idea, it aims what it was aiming to do.

If they took the action from 300, placed them in modern day, gave them guns instead, and retained all the slow motion, then you have StrangleHold (but, with one guy against many).
Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The game is a sequel to one of the most crazy over the top action movies, HardBoiled. It plays just like it is supposed to, like you are in the middle of an over the top action movie. For a demo it plays v well, and considering the material that spawned the idea, it aims what it was aiming to do.

If they took the action from 300, placed them in modern day, gave them guns instead, and retained all the slow motion, then you have StrangleHold (but, with one guy against many).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this demo and was about to make an OP until I found this thread.

I think BioShock is stealing a lot of Stranglehold's thunder. Although they are completely different games, I don't think game developers like having their games released around the same time as an "epic" game comes out. I assume the same goes for the production of Hollywood movies as well.

TBH, when I went to download BioShock, I saw the Stranglehold demo and decided to download that as well. I've played about 15 minutes of BioShock, but have gone through the Stranglehold demo 20+ times.

Again, they're entirely different games, and for that I think Stranglehold is awesome in its genre, and the multi-player looks great.

I'm going to go play through the entire BioShock demo now... Maybe my opinion will change.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 AM

It's looking like a solid Gamefly queue candidate
Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 AM

Stranglehold was supposed to release on the 360 today, but got delayed until next week.

Looks like a great game imho.

Great HD vids at the link below:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1739.html

I recommend watching all of the them, but especially the two below, although I've only watched about half of the trailers listed:

Single Player -

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/14066.html

Multi-Player -

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24188.html
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this demo and was about to make an OP until I found this thread.

I think BioShock is stealing a lot of Stranglehold's thunder. Although they are completely different games, I don't think game developers like having their games released around the same time as an "epic" game comes out. I assume the same goes for the production of Hollywood movies as well.

TBH, when I went to download BioShock, I saw the Stranglehold demo and decided to download that as well. I've played about 15 minutes of BioShock, but have gone through the Stranglehold demo 20+ times.

Again, they're entirely different games, and for that I think Stranglehold is awesome in its genre, and the multi-player looks great.

I'm going to go play through the entire BioShock demo now... Maybe my opinion will change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never lol'd so hard when I read that Bioshock is stealing Strangleholds thunder. Stranglehold has pretty much no thunder. I played the demo and was apalled at how badly it looked, and its supposed to be using the UT3 engine. Obviously they didn't know how to use it for [censored]. While Bioshock makes very good use of it and looks great.

I went out and bought Bioshock tonight and Im loving it, and I have no desire to play Stranglehold after the demo. Run into room/slowtime down/kill a billion bad guys/rinse/repeat.

You obviously are enjoying the Stranglehold demo, and I imagine you will enjoy the full game when realeased, so more power to you.