Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

There's a donut store on Polk that has fresh hot donuts ready right after the bars close. The first time someone took me there drunk, a hot donuts was the last think I thought I wanted. But the taste was like heaven in my mouth.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:18 PM

suzzer,

http://bobsdonuts.com/

Bob's. Piping-hot fresh donuts from there. That is a truly amazing drunken experience. Oh, make sure you go to the right place. Right on the corner a couple doors down is a completely differnet place, Bob's Diner.

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned cheap Bahn Mi (vietnamese sandwiches) yet. My favorite is Saigon Sandwiches. I believe the special combo pork sandwich is now $3. So, so delicious.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Grubsteak down the street is also a fun late night drunken experience. You will get food poisoning about 1 in 10 times. But hey nothing else is open, and I'm drunk and hungry dammit.

Also I'd kill for a vietnamese sandwich place near me in LA. There's one near downtown that's awesome. The best thing is the spicy meat sandwich, and dip it in that fish carcass soup they make. Also the cold spring rolls. Gluhhhhhhhh.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Your favorite things to do or places to go: San Francisco Bay Are

[ QUOTE ]

Sushitomi - I LOOOOOVE sushi, and this place has tons of awesome stuff. The first time i went i had Kobe Beef and Toro Nigiri, super expensive, but just flat out amazing. Since then I have gotten the Sashimi Lunch Special, which is a ton of sashimi, soup and a salad for like 12 dollars. Whenever im having a bad day pre-lunch i go here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just went here for lunch with another 2p2er. Got there late so we had to sit that the sushi bar.
Got the Sashami lunch. 3 pieces each of Salmon, Maguro, Yellowtail, and Halibut plus soup, salad, and rice for $12.90! It was very very good!
Friend got the sushi lunch for same price. 3 pieces of cucumber roll, tuna roll, and california roll. One piece each of Salmon, Maguro, Yellowtail, Halibut, and Ebi. It looked really good. He confirmed it was good, but could not finish since he is a little under the weather.

A couple of guys were having the Chef's Menu. I think it's 10 pcs and some hot appetitizer. Gonna get this next time I go.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:17 PM

thread is tl;dr since i live in Reno.

Alfreds for steak/martinis

Truly Med for Shwarma/Falafel

Top Dog (Berkeley) for, well, top dogs.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 AM

See also Help please: San Francisco Restaurants thread. I took a date to Fringale on Sat night based on the recommendation, very nice, very reasonable, nothing too fancy.

Also last Fri: Holy Cow, not as good as I remember it used to be, very quiet, ridiculously cheap drinks though and a barmaid in a tiny plaid skirt and a fine wiggle. Elbo Room, crowded but fun place, still easy to get drinks. Wanted to check out Wish to take a girl to on Sat night, unfortunately my date for Fri was a big dude in a <font color="purple">lavendar</font> shirt. We still couldn't get in. I wasn't too surprised.

Any suggestions for a fun place on a Sat night for a birthday group? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 AM

If you're hanging out near the museums/metreon, etc. (I believe this is SOMA), try some cream puffs over at Beard Papa's on Mission between 3rd and 4th. Good stuff!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:06 AM

BCF,

Fringale is very solid. I especially like the steak frites and the lamb. Right on the corner is Coco 500, one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Highly recommend it.

Wish is OK but sucks on the weekend, way too crowded.

What sort of place you looking for for the birthday, and how many people?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 AM

I saw Coco 500, and it was recommended by a friend, but I couldn't get a reservation (last minute). It's up there on my list to try out though.

My b'day is Weds but I'm getting old and mid-week shenanigans isn't as easy to deal with the next morning as it used to be...that'll be a more civilised night. Sat would need to be somewhere fun to make me forget 37 sounds significantly older than 36 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Lively, pretty people to look at, clubby but not too clubby (last year we VIP'd it at Ruby Skye). Probably a dozen or so twentysomethings to thirtysomethings, small cover charge is ok (my friends are all over the chart financially, and this year I want them all around).

If I end up at anyone's recommendations, I'd be very happy to let them buy me a drink [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Since Bruiser left town before I could meet him, anyone else with some good stories to tell would be most welcome!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 PM

BCF,

I am not much of a club guy anymore, so can't really help you out there. I do like Mighty, but I suspect that's not the right vibe for you.

For a nice lounge type place with a bit of a club type atmosphere/music, you might want to check out Slide, right next door to Ruby Skye. It is basicaly a really nice bar with a club feel to it.

If you want to hang out w/ pretty Marina folk, you can hit The Matrix on Fillmore. It is not my style at all, but it's definitely a nice bar with pretty people.