Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Default J8s in the sb vs Joe Tall with thoughts

same 20/40 game from other post.

joe tall open raises in MP. 3 coldcalls behind him. i semi-coldcall in the sb with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bb calls. 6 way action 12 bets.

flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i check. bb checks. joe bets. cc1 calls. cc2 calls. cc3 folds. i call. bb folds. 4 ways on the turn.

turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i bet. joe shoots me a look, fondles his chips, pauses, then raises. cc1 and cc2 fold. i call.

river: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

i check and fold.

standard hand imo, though i think there is a pretty nifty way to play the turn depending on the action. if i decided to check and joe bets and one or both of the guys call, i think a checkraise is a good move. if both guys drop out, i would definitely just call. however, by checking i run the risk of the turn getting checked through and imo, the value of getting a bet in to protect my hand on the turn in case it is best is greater than the likelyhood of me trying to get joe to fold an overpair if he has one.

thoughts on the hand?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: J8s in the sb vs Joe Tall with thoughts

i was wondering about why you decided to lead the turn, glad you posted your reasoning...

did you consider 3betting the turn after all the other guys folded? do you think go will lay down an overpair or a 9?

do you think joes look means he thinks you are possibly bet/3betting but he has to raise anyways because of the coldcallers?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:20 PM

I like it on every street. Turn bet is nice, and Joe's raise tells you where you stand. River is a fold UI. nh CDC.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM

I like your turn bet a lot. With the two CCers in there it's a lot harder for him to raise when your ahead, so you won't have any tough decisions on the river. If it were 3-handed I like a check raise for the same reasons you illuded to in your OP.

There are a lot of interesting river cards for you to either suck out or make a play. What were your plans?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 PM

When somebody donks the turn on that type of board with that kind of previous action, I assume its a pair that picked up a flush draw. This is not to say that you will be bluffed off your hand, just that he will likely play the rest of the hand perfectly.

I would usually check here since the likelihood that most villains bet into the field on the flop with just overcards is small. I'd be very tempted to raise the field (if they came) as you suggested and pray that Joe makes a huge laydown, though that basically never happens and is probably -ev.

The river is well played.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
standard hand imo, though i think there is a pretty nifty way to play the turn depending on the action. if i decided to check and joe bets and one or both of the guys call, i think a checkraise is a good move. if both guys drop out, i would definitely just call. however, by checking i run the risk of the turn getting checked through and imo, the value of getting a bet in to protect my hand on the turn in case it is best is greater than the likelyhood of me trying to get joe to fold an overpair if he has one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-08-2006, 03:38 AM

well played on all streets.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM

Is it not potentially worth leading the flop expecting the PFR to pop you and fold everyone behind him out? 12 bets is a pretty big pot. No chance of anyone folding to 2 bets on the flop? Sorry but I may have missed the game conditions...

If you _were_ to improve on the turn having led and called his raise (you kinda did improve with the 4th heart), he'd be pretty hard pressed to pop u on the turn, wouldn't he?

Am I on crack?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:23 PM

For curiosity's sake, what would your line be if an 8/J/heart rolled off on the river? Particularly against JT?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM

Calling one more bet on the end might be right.