Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Default NBA draft discussion thread

Celtics fan....I want Joakim Noah.

He has played alongside Al Horford successfully, and Horford has a similar skillset to Al Jefferson (granted, not as good as BIG Al), but he can really play his role, runs hard, can pass from the high post, and finish in transition.

There are obvious limitations, but I honestly think a lineup of Rondo-Sczcerbiak-Pierce-Noah-Jefferson is a playoff lock for next year.

Wright and Yi are too big of risks for a team not wanting to waste Paul Pierce's prime.

Conley is not as good as Rondo.

Brewer or Jeff Green is only a slight upgrade over Gerald Green, and would be bench players anyway.

Who do you want your team to draft??
Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: NBA draft disccusion thread

Another thing....Thoughts on teams admitting mistakes from a year ago...

Does a team like Charlotte address their need of another wing player because Adam Morrison sucked so badly last year, or do they stick with Ammo?

Does a team like Atlanta who messed up with Shelden Williams (LOL) go for Al Horford, who is a much bigger/better version of last year's draft pick in a similar drafting position?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 PM

I really want the Bulls to just take whoever they think is the best player available. Forcing it by taking the best PF available is silly. They will need to make a trade in the next year or two anyways, so depth at any position really can't hurt them.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Usually I think "BPA" is a bad strategy, but I agree the Bulls really are in a position to draft whoever will net them the most trade value.

However, if they think Hawes is legit, he would be a really nice pickup, finally giving them some sort of low post presence.

I really believe that teams like Boston, Memphis, and Atlanta can't keep stockpiling wing players and expect to get any better. At some point, you need point guards and centers.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I think "BPA" is a bad strategy, but I agree the Bulls really are in a position to draft whoever will net them the most trade value.

However, if they think Hawes is legit, he would be a really nice pickup, finally giving them some sort of low post presence.

I really believe that teams like Boston, Memphis, and Atlanta can't keep stockpiling wing players and expect to get any better. At some point, you need point guards and centers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the Hawks last year tried the unique theory of taking worst player available.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM

I will be very happy with whichever of the trio of SFs of Green, Wright, and Brewer the Bucks end up with.

I like Green for the Bucks the most though due to the fact that he could likely play PF on the NBA level too and with a likely combination of Redd, Bell, and Williams/Free Agent PG at Guard, a frontcourt rotation of Simmons, Villanueva, Bogut, and Green should be able to fill the 3-5 positions with any combination of those 3 players playing. Obviously there will be other bench players that contribute some more minor minutes but that is a solid core 7 to base the team around.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Question: Is Horford good enough/big enough to play an Amare-like center for a team like the Hawks that could desperately use a center?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question: Is Horford good enough/big enough to play an Amare-like center for a team like the Hawks that could desperately use a center?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot of favorable comparisons for Horford to guys like Brand, Boozer, or Jefferson, all of whom can play the 5.

His true position is a 4 though, IMO.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot of favorable comparisons for Horford to guys like Brand, Boozer, or Jefferson, all of whom can play the 5.

His true position is a 4 though, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's dominant like Brand or AlJef, and I don't think he's as athletic as Boozer. I think he's more like a little bit more refined Sean May.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:38 PM

GKA is Rondo really better than Conley? I mean I'm not that high on Conley just bc of sample size and I've seen too many guys have a great tourney and get picked too high (Tyrus Thomas last year IMO). He did have one hell of a tourney though and every game that I watched of his, I was impressed. I also watched a good bit Rondo when he was in the SEC and he never impressed me that much. I mean his jumper is just so [censored] sorry and I dont think hes a good enough slasher to fully make up for it. Yes he can play D, but a great 6'0" defender isn't really worth a [censored] in the NBA IMO. I think he's one of those guys that your boy Bill Simmons gased up too much. I think COnley will be a better pro than Rondo and might be better in his first year.

Also, I really like Corey Brewer. He's a 6'8" guy who will be able to D up the opponents best perimeter player. And hes not bad on O either. He proved he could really shoot it in the tourney IMO. I honestly can't say whether or not Brewer>Green right now bc I dont know enough about Gerald but I think in the long run Brewer will be a very solid NBA player. Sorry man Celts are never on national tv anymore.

I do agree that Noah might be the best pick for your team though. He's not gonna put up huge numbers (who knows he could though), but he's not gonna be a bust whos out of the league in 3 years IMO. He can board and play D and he makes a lot of hustle plays. The guy deserves to play in the NBA and I think hes one of these guys who will always have a spot on some team.

Last thing. Assuming Horford is still there when the Celts pick, how does drafting Al to play the 4 and moving Jefferson to the 5 sound? You think that works or would you rather have Noah?