Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 AM

Default New player needing help :)

Just recently started playing full ring 100nl and some 200nl on stars. I was curious from the more experienced players which do u think u have a better edge over... 100NL 200NL or 400NL??? Also in your opinion how do u think say 100/200NL 6 max buying in full compares to say 400NL full ring buying in short for say 240.

I ask this because watching several friends play 400nl FR short they seem to do very well where as the same players seem to struggle at 6max 200NL say buying in full.. Opinions greatly received. I am tempted to try 400NL full ring but dnt want to if the edge is actually alot less here, I just see alot of 2p2 and good players playing 100/200 6max these days.

Thanks alot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: New player needing help :)

ok im kind of confused, are you asking whether i have a bigger edge over other players at nl100, nl200, or nl400? that one seems too blatantly obvious

and why are you comparing 100bb six max to 60bb full ring? i think most people here will tell you buying in full is *generally* your best bet, whether it be 6max or FR

and regarding your friends who do well at FR but struggle at 6max, 6max is different, they could just be more suited for FR?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM

obvi u have a better edge at 100nl, over 200nl or 400nl

~50bb stacks are odd. i dont kno why you would do that to yourself

~20bb is the standard shortstacking size. u increase variance, and have to play quite a few more tables to maintain the WR of a semi-decent player buying in full

u cant compare shortstacking FR to fullstacking 6max. doesnt compute

there are 2p2r's+good players at all levels of every variety on every site. along with fish. just how it works.

anything else ur asking? it was hard to read the OP
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 AM

i think he means...
- what is easier, 100nl FR, 200nl FR, 400nl FR
- what is easier 100nl 6max fullstackin, 200nl 6max fullstackin,or 400nl half stacking.

maybe you want to clarify xexilla

also people who play badly after the flop may benefit from buyin in short since it means easier decisions. but alot of the strategy you read in this forum is directed towards playing with fullstacks.

if you want to play halfstacked thats up to you, but dont expect to get any help on this forum, since alot of the advice on here is taylored towards play with 100BB. So its whether or not you want to play half stacked with no advice, or full stacked with advice from 2p2.

my bet is after a while you'll be better at fullstacking because of all the extra help you can get.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why cant you compare? all you care about is the difference in hourly rates.

if you can win at 2ptbb halfstacking 400nl, thats like 16$/100hands. if you can win at 4ptbb fulltacking 100nl 6max, thats 8$/100 hand. that would mean even if your edge is less at 400nl, its still more worthwhile to play because of the extra hourly.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I ask this because watching several friends play 400nl FR short they seem to do very well where as the same players seem to struggle at 6max 200NL say buying in full..

[/ QUOTE ]

You're friends probably do worse because they aren't experience/very good at playing full buyin. When they buy in for 240 or so, not folding when they should isn't as big of a mistake if they had bought in full. So short answer is they make bigger mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
I am tempted to try 400NL full ring but dnt want to if the edge is actually alot less here

[/ QUOTE ]

Game selection will decide the edge, but your edge should shrink as you move up limits.

If you just recently started playing 1nl and 2nl on stars then I would suggest you stay at those limits for a few weeks at the least. Also you might want to read about "bankroll management" if you haven't done so already.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why cant you compare? all you care about is the difference in hourly rates.

if you can win at 2ptbb halfstacking 400nl, thats like 16$/100hands. if you can win at 4ptbb fulltacking 100nl 6max, thats 8$/100 hand. that would mean even if your edge is less at 400nl, its still more worthwhile to play because of the extra hourly.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh...ur probably right. i wasnt reading it that way. i was approaching it from the strategic POV, not the WR.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:49 AM

thanks for clearing that up SN that is what I meant... I mean is it that simple that 25NL is easier than 50NL and so on?? I just find that when short stacking players automatically pin u as a donkey like Brian Townsend does in alot of his videos which I think is fine but not always the case. If I only have say 50BB's ur decisions vs me become so much simpler surely?? and u are more willing to gamble as its not a full buyin u cud potentially lose therefore if Im a decent player surely I can expect a higher winrate??

Maybe I am being a bit naive here I am just curious what everybody thinks but I guess results would speak for themselves maybe I could just try it out but then such a small sample isen't going to be a huge indication.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for clearing that up SN that is what I meant... I mean is it that simple that 25NL is easier than 50NL and so on?? I just find that when short stacking players automatically pin u as a donkey like Brian Townsend does in alot of his videos which I think is fine but not always the case. If I only have say 50BB's ur decisions vs me become so much simpler surely?? and u are more willing to gamble as its not a full buyin u cud potentially lose therefore if Im a decent player surely I can expect a higher winrate??

Maybe I am being a bit naive here I am just curious what everybody thinks but I guess results would speak for themselves maybe I could just try it out but then such a small sample isen't going to be a huge indication.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never buy in full. I dont see the point. Most of the time, I will have a full stack once I get into my session. Now, If I do get involved on the wrong end, I at least minimized my losses somewhat. I also find that players are willing to get in a pot with you, which is a pro and a con in some cases. Generally, I buy for 150 in NL200, and 250 in NL400. I do fully load if there are some real suckers who are asking to stack off.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, If I do get involved on the wrong end, I at least minimized my losses somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

any hand you choose to play you expect to win money, the more money you have infront of you the more money you expect to win. dont see how having less money infront of you when you get AA vs KK and then getting sucked out on "saved you money" ...infact it just cost you a shtload of sklanksy bucks.