Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Default 15/30: I cap preflop from SB, then check on a 4-way flop.

Juicy juicy table.

Button sat down for a few orbits, but looks decent.

UTG+1 is a 45/30 who raises very loosely, often any two from any position if he feels the table is playing tight enough.

His postflop is like this: Raise or c/r flop with 70% bottom or 2nd pair, 30% top pair or better. Raise or c/r turn with 75% top pair or better, 20% semi-bluffs, 5% pure air from tilting. In multiway pots, he'll semi-bluff less but I can see him doing it with a pair and flush draw.

CO is unknown but CCs PF from MP vs. the lag, so he can't be good.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $15/$30
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (16.67SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

I was strongly compelled to check the flop because I knew it was very likely my equity was &lt; 25%, and if I bet I didn't know how to respond to a raise from UTG+1 and cold-call or a call and raise. So I check with the intention of calling a single bet but fold to more than one.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.83BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

A good card, and I decide to donk to protect my hand from a gutshot.
If it gets to HU and it's raised, I call down.
If it goes bet, call, raise, or goes bet, raise, CC, I fold.

After calling the turn, UTG+1's hand range is a diamond with no pair about 95% of the time because he never waits until the river to raise with a made hand. I'm still unsure on the unknown CO.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12.83BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>

Need value, so bet. Need sanity, so bet/call vs. unknown and lag. This includes overcalling a single bet.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 15/30: I cap preflop from SB, then check on a 4-way flop.

If UTG+1 raises so often on the flop, you have a good chance of being ahead of him even if he does raise. So why not bet the flop and hope UTG+1 raises and puts a little more pressure on the other two opponents?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: 15/30: I cap preflop from SB, then check on a 4-way flop.

I can't actually tell you what the right play is on the flop (you have about 26% equity), but playing with stove a bit you actually don't improve much on the turn (28%). Making sure that that first bet goes in on the flop and flushes out some non-diamond overs is an important consideration, but once CO bets for you and UTG calls I wouldn't bother to lead out there on the 8. With position on the flop I'd probably check behind on the flop, OOP I'm not sure here. It's probably not that often that this flop checks through.