Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Learning Investing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Motley fool @: www.fool.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Blech. There are some good message boards there (I participate in a couple), but the fool itself has sold out with a vengeance. They have some of the sleaziest banner ads around.

[/ QUOTE ]

mind posting links for the forums?
PM me if that is not allowed.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM

http://boards.fool.com

Use to require a subscription but they are free as of the last month or so.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM

The guys claiming this is very difficult I have a question, are you more intuative or analytical when you choose positions (I mean to say how much faith do you put into the financials of the company versus your assessment of the companies resources, specifically its business model in the marketplace and its management)?

I think that unless the market behaves completely random or the information for finding patterns is somehow hidden/unattainable it can be beaten. Fwiw I am a finance major, but I read Jim Kramer's first book (confessions) where he explained that school won't be able to teach you to trade, he instead contested that he started learning from a money manager he worked for. I'm in the process of reading the second book, but it is thick and I'm very busy with school, but the concepts I've covered thus far are a good started ground for understanding the market(s).

My plan, as of now, is to read as much as I can and come up with a few ideas (companies) say 5 stocks, and do extensive research on each position. Then I want to take these ideas to a 2p2 type place, explain my thought process and see what people think, and act accordingly.

FWIW I don't think I'm overestimating my abilities b/c I don't really work hard at anything in my life... except the one thing I am content with, like I literally spend ALL my time on this one thing... I'm basically a freak. Thats why I think I can be extremely successful... eventually. FWIW I've heard/read stories about random guys that started with like 10-50k and turned it into inf monies and now trade either on their own or for funds or something. They have these guys on Power Lunch n stuff all the time.

I definitely aspire to achieve this kind of success but I am realistic, I'm gonna shoot for for the stars, but if I like only make it to the moon its fine=D

anyway thanks for recommending motley fool boards, I'll check them out.

holla
Old 10-11-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

I think you're severely overrating your abilities and underrating the difficulty of consistently making money investing. Believing that you can beat the stock market or any form of investing because you're good at poker is pretty foolish.

I remember seeing your name in the student forum (I graduated from the same school last year). The easiest way for you to learn is to begin taking courses in accounting and finance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is the same skill sets apply, and since I'm good at one my skills should be interchangeable. I need a 2p2 of investing to teach me how to play the game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM

this thread is interesting

I'm basically in the same position as you fees except that I don't have a major in either finance or accounting due to the fact that my college doesn't give it. Only closest thing I can do is pick up a minor in accounting which I might do soon enough.

As to if there are any websites like twoplustwo but in financing, I'm very interested. Would be cool to read a BBV forum but about stocks.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM

If you are planning on learning about derivatives I imagine its probably necessary to first get a good understanding for what motivates valuation of the underlying asset (so far as there are underlying assets), since much of derivative valuation is based on arbitrage free environments and synthetically creating the underlying.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 AM

Barrin, ship me ur aim
Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 AM

To OP,

I think BFI is a great place to start, but definitely not the only place to look. When Barron, DesertCat, SM, and some other solid posters post, I usually use that as a starting point for my own research. I guess I'm in a similar position as you. This is my final year of undergrad and I'm currently trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 AM

Anyone have some specific advice for my situation (freshman college)? I feel like there are a [censored] load of directions I can take the next 5 years (co-op=5years) and I'm not sure what's best. FWIW my philosophy is money>breathing.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 AM

1) come to Penn
2) go to Wharton School
3) hang out with MBAs
4) ?
5) profit