Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s AC trip report

Tipping can be a touchy subject.

I do feel for the dealers who are alert and doing their job getting stiffed.

They need to make a living too.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 AM

Players need to say something when they see a dealer not getting tipped. Just something, like, "hey why don't you throw the dealer or a buck" or "don't forget your dealer."

I also despise when dealers say '"nice hand" or "nice pot" and will tip them less when they do this and then tell them why they are only getting a buck on a big pot.

It's not nice for the person who just lost the pot, whether it's me or not. So, don't nice hand me or anyone else.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM

I think the whole idea of tipping is ridiculous. The dealer has a job and gets paid to do it. If you win a pot and want to tip the dealer you can. If you win a pot and don't want to tip YOU DO NOT HAVE TO, and should not have to feel bad about it. People don't go into department stores and tip the cashier for doing her job fast or correct, what makes a dealer any different. Its really like saying to someone in any job hey heres extra money for doing what you are already paid to do. They are not forced to deal so if they have a probably with their salary go find a different profession.

Statements like "They are trying to make a living" burn me up. If they want a living then goto school and get a better job. The pizza delivery guy is trying to make a living too, but why do we have to tip him when he is getting paid to deliver pizza's. Is it our fault that the pizza place doesn't pay much? Or that he/she is dumb enough to work for those wages? I think not.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM

Tipping is a courtesy thing. It's not necessary, no one will call the floor and say you aren't tipping... We tip waiters and waitresses because they are doing us a service by delivering our food. The dealer is doing us a service by delivering our cards, organizing pots, and keeping the game moving quickly and smoothly. If a waitress doesn't serve you well, it is ok to leave a marginal tip/not leave a tip. If they do a good job and are courteous and pleaseing, they it is customary to show them respect in the form of the dollar.

Also, there are dealers that are very intelligent people, so i wouldnt bash them on their intellignence. I had a dealer who was an MIT grad and we spoke about Aerospace physics at the table. It's unfair to classify these people as "too stupid" to work somewhere else. People who deal usually do because they enjoy the gaming atmosphere and/or enjoy the game.

PS. Where in philly you from and where do you play? AC? Home game?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 AM

I wasn't trying to say they are all stupid. But if you are in a job and complaining about money, then get a different one. if i didn't like my salary as software engineer i'd go do something else.

I'm from NE Philly, i play online of course, AC every now and again, and yea home game weekly.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM

I am glad this thread has devolved into a tipping thread. We don't get the chance to read people's thoughts on tipping very often in B&M.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad this thread has devolved into a tipping thread. We don't get the chance to read people's thoughts on tipping very often in B&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah tru that,
I didnt even realise what thread this was in... My appologies for adding to the wrongnessss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the whole idea of tipping is ridiculous. The dealer has a job and gets paid to do it. If you win a pot and want to tip the dealer you can. If you win a pot and don't want to tip YOU DO NOT HAVE TO, and should not have to feel bad about it. People don't go into department stores and tip the cashier for doing her job fast or correct, what makes a dealer any different. Its really like saying to someone in any job hey heres extra money for doing what you are already paid to do. They are not forced to deal so if they have a probably with their salary go find a different profession.

Statements like "They are trying to make a living" burn me up. If they want a living then goto school and get a better job. The pizza delivery guy is trying to make a living too, but why do we have to tip him when he is getting paid to deliver pizza's. Is it our fault that the pizza place doesn't pay much? Or that he/she is dumb enough to work for those wages? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't tip waiters/waitresses in restaurants? I mean they're just doing their job. Why should we tip them? Perhaps because they get paid < $2.35/hour because their employers know that their customers will tip them after their meal. Dealers are no different. Their hourly wages are similar to waiters/waitresses (if they even get hourly wages in AC). Please stop being cheap. If you are going to continue being cheap, then just continue playing online. God I hate cheap people. What difference does extra $5 make to your big pot? Share the wealth a bit with the dealers (I'm not a dealer. I have friends that used to be dealers so I understand their point of view).