[ QUOTE ]
No broken bones?
No blood?
No bullet holes?

You call this police brutality?

Try this story.

Video of incident

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this video from when it first happened. The highlights are the cop telling the suspect to "get up" and then shooting him when he does so. Then when the guy is screaming in pain the cop is yelling at him to "shut the f#ck up".

The sad thing is that if this wasn't caught on video, the cop would have almost certainly have gotten off scott free.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: yet another police brutality post

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i know this is on digg, but just wanted some opinions on this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EH6AYVn2yw4

could 6/27/07 be police brutality OK day? I feel these punk kids probably deserved what they got. Oh - and skateboarding is illegal in this town.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just noticed that the cop looks a lot like Vic Mackey.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
having your friend charge the officer

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

[/ QUOTE ]2:08 it looked like he's charging the officer, but on second viewing I could be wrong =/

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody attacked a police officer on that video.

Whats the deal with arresting the kid in red for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Cop: Put it down.
Kid: (puts down camera)Ok.Ok.Ok.
Cop: Lay on ground.
Kid: (lays on ground)For riding a skate board.
Cop: Put your hands behind your back or i'll spray you. Undersand?
Kid: Yes sir.
Cop: Cuffs kid.

Seems like active compliance and orderly conduct. Guess they didn't like the fact that he was filming them.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

being the expert that I am after 2 semesters of Crim J, I do not think the officer handled this situation close to optimal

[/ QUOTE ]

your chart seems to lead me to believe that cop did the right thing according to training? active physical resistince = physical tactics/impact weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

That girl was acting at about level 2 and the cop was acting on her at a level 5. At no time were the cops in any physical danger.

[/ QUOTE ]
When she turned to run away, she was actively physically resisting, that's level 5 resistance. The pig acted reacted appropriately according to that table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this definition? I'm not sure its correct.

I've had trouble finding good definitions for the terms in this chart, though this article called "running away" defensive resistance.

4) Defensive resistance - physical actions that attempt to prevent the officer's control without harming the officer (e.g., pulling away from the officer's grip, twisting away, and running away).

Although, even then, I don't think chemical agents would be appropriate though thats whats listed on the chart.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 AM

I agree with Guids on a cop issue! These kids are brats that know they are breaking the law and looking for trouble. If they had complied with the cops they would have gotten off with a warning and been home for dinner.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Guids on a cop issue! These kids are brats that know they are breaking the law and looking for trouble. If they had complied with the cops they would have gotten off with a warning and been home for dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats like saying a tailgating, speeding driver "got what he deserved" when he was hit by a drunk driver, who he might have otherwise been able to avoid if he was going slower and allowed more breaking distance.

do people really think like that? there must be a lot of people that do since people are constantly posting that exact same logic on this forum.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody attacked a police officer on that video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he didn't punch the officer, but he screamed, "WHAT THE [censored]" and charged into him to help out the chick who was evading. I'd say the cop was justified in grabbing the kid and restraining him. There are about a million different ways the officer could've handled this situation, with probably all of them being better than the one he chose, but I don't think he was out of line.

If the kids weren't bitching at the cop for stopping them for breaking the law, they probably could've gotten away. A simple, "Sorry officer, I won't skate board here again" would've sufficed, I'm sure.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 AM

I'm 42 and I skateboard. I don't skate where it's not allowed. I'm sure there is somewhere in that community where skateboarding isn't against the law. I kinda doubt these kids were arrested right off the bat either. Cops usually issue a ticket or just take your deck. Someone escalated the situation beyond that. Even without the whole video, the kids don't appear to be helping their cause. It's a little suspicious that the video is missing what led up to the arrests.

Whatever the situation, these kids forgot something very fundamental.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No broken bones?
No blood?
No bullet holes?

You call this police brutality?

Try this story.

Video of incident

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this video from when it first happened. The highlights are the cop telling the suspect to "get up" and then shooting him when he does so. Then when the guy is screaming in pain the cop is yelling at him to "shut the f#ck up".

The sad thing is that if this wasn't caught on video, the cop would have almost certainly have gotten off scott free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this faaggot cop gets an extremely long jail sentence.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 AM

There are alot of places that are oddly anti- skateboarding. Every police force I am aware of bans choke holds, as they can quickly cause death with active resistance of subject. If the officer feels that he is in danger, he is to strike the main body mass with the baton until he gains compliance. However, this would be totally considered overuse of force for a NON-VIOLENT misdemeanor, which in this case I would assume is in the nature of a traffic citation. If the officer was not capable of citing all the youths, it was not neccessary to gain physical control of them. As it seemed to be a small town, he just should have noted their names if he knew them, or their descriptions, and could have identified them later at school and still had his job. I have skated at places where it is technically not "legal", because it had really great trick set-ups or was really convinient, and I don't really understand why in places that allow rollerblading, biking, walking, and everything else, are so insanely prejudgiced against skateboading?