Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 AM

Default poker software

i cant find the software forum, maybe they took it off or maybe my computers screwed. ill put it here instead. Just wondering which program is better, Poker Academy, Poker Tracker or Poker office? do they all do the same thing?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: poker software

Google it. No really, I just did and was suprised at what Poker Academy does. It takes you by the hand and teaches you about the game. Player types, odds, calculators, bots, ect.

My preference is Poker Tracker. I have logged over 15k hands and like the simplicity and compatability. True, I might not know the odds down to the decimal but a "ball park" estimate is good enough. I don't think 8.1:1 and 8.0:1 is really gonna have a huge affect on your decision. Nevertheless, knowing the odds is important.

If you decide to purchase PokerTracker here is a how to link:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=

How to use Poker Tracker.
PostID #4946669 - 03/04/06 01:06 AM
Credit to Pokey
Old 05-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Poker Tracker is basically a database, and I understand Poker Office is the same thing. I love PT, and you can use it with Poker Ace HUD to get real-time overlays on the table.

It's not for giving odds or whatever, but frankly you should learn that on your own anyway and it's not that hard to manage.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Ok thanks, and I read through Pokey’s post which was very informative. I am anxious to know whether other users use the database in a similar way. Basically is there a standard way to use PT to improve your game or does it totally depend on what the style you play. I know this is a broad question I am just looking into buying the program and before I do would like to have a firm understanding of its uses. I always read posts that say “he was playing 20/10 over 200 hands but I have no clue what that even means. Sincerely, your favourite noob.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:46 PM

lol

You'll get the idea of terms like 20/10 once you get rolling with PT and PA Hud. Some of the info you get using PA Hud with PT are things on how often your opponent is voluntarily putting money in to the pot (VPIP), and how often he is raising (PFR) and so on.

For example, if a guy has a VPIP if 20, he's putting in money into the pot 1 in 5 hands, not including the blinds he has to post. Compare that to a guy with a VPIP of 45, so you know that he is playing almost half of the hands. Knowing how many hands a person is playing or how often they raise can help give a hint to the range they're playing.

In an extreme example, a guy right behind you plays 2% of his hands and raises 1% of the time. In this case he's obvioulsy a super-rock and you can be reasonably assured he's got a premium hand, whereas a 30/20 guy could have a much wider range.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM

thanks bro, thats enough to get started? by the way whats Pa Hud? is it free?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 AM

I like Poker Office myself, it's a tracking software just like Poker Tracker, but it has all the tools such as HUD and graphs built in.

Poker academy is a bot that you can play against to improve your game, at least that's how I understand it. I haven't tried it myself so I can't comment on how good it is.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks bro, thats enough to get started? by the way whats Pa Hud? is it free?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokertracker and PokerAce HUD will be what you need. Poker Ace is not free, but has a free trial for a month and it's $25.

http://pokeracesoftware.com/hud/

There are a couple of other sofwares you'll want to work with in when you're not playing, like PokerStove and some graphing utility which are free, and you might want to buy SNG PT later on, but you don't need that to get going.

Actually, PokerStove you should get - that's always handy.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Tracker is basically a database, and I understand Poker Office is the same thing. I love PT, and you can use it with Poker Ace HUD to get real-time overlays on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerOffice is a database and real-time overlay program all in one. It will also give you odds and outs on the possible hands you can draw to. They have some deals also where you can get a copy for free if you open an account at one of its affiliates, including most major sites such as Poker Stars, etc. I also like the way it will give profit graphs (and other customizable graphs) and show you how you are doing (as well as opps) on various types of flops, such as open flush draw, etc. How much of a profit or loss is incurred depending on the types of actions you take. Excellent for helping plug leaks. And finally, not to be overlooked: a far nicer interface.

Albert
Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 AM

I've been very satisfied with poker office so far and I think it's a good choice if you're looking for a tracking program. I'm not all that familiar with the other softwares you're asking about, so I can't say much about them.