Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Crazy Pineapple

I loved Robert Gasper's crazy pineapple article--very well written and very well thought out.

I found a couple of things interesting, the first of which is from Hand 2, Situation 2;

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 - Ah Js 2h, Flop Ac 3s 4h

Situation #1: Mr. Tight, a very tight and passive player, limps under the gun. You have only seen him raise once pre-flop, and that was with AAKs. His limping range includes big aces and pocket pairs 99+ and he will fold to any flop bet if he has not connected with at least top pair good kicker or an eight out draw. Everyone folds to the small blind (a loose typical player) who completes and you check (3 small bets). The flop comes Ac 3s 4h and the small blind checks. You bet out, hoping Mr. Tight will fold. He calls, and the small blind folds instead. (5 small bets) Should you hold on to your Ah Js, or go with Ah 2h to see the turn?

Your Ah Js is probably behind any hand that Mr. Tight would first limp under the gun and then call a bet with on this flop. If Mr. Tight bets on the turn, you would be wise to fold. More than likely, you are drawing to three Jacks and hoping for Mr. Tight to also check on the turn. On the other hand, Ah 2h offers a little more hope; catching one of four 5's for the straight, one of three 2's for two pair or another heart to pick up enough outs to see the river if Mr. Tight bets the turn. In general, if you find yourself at discard suspecting that you will need to release your hand to a turn bet, maximize your outs.

Situation #2: Same as above, only Mr. Tight folds to your flop bet and the loose small blind calls. (5 small bets) Here the AJ looks more attractive against the small blind's range. You are not interested in maximizing outs as much as extracting value in this situation

[/ QUOTE ]

I've added the emphasis on the last sentence.

I'm not so sure about extracting value here. In fact, I think I'd prefer to play this hand against Mr. Tight rather than against the small blind. I've got a better chance of out-playing Mr. Tight on later streets if I miss. But what could small blind have to call my bet on the flop? A3? A4? 52? This flop has small blind written all over it... I'm probably not putting any more money in the pot if I play the AJ.

The other thing I was curious about was...

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 - 7s Ac Tc , Flop 8c Jc 9s
<snip>.
Situation #2: Pre-flop Mr. Tight from the earlier hand raises under the gun. He gets one cold caller and you mis-click and make a loose call from the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else think this is not a mis-click, but a clear call?