Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: What would be the best limit to start at?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you say why, please? I read (it's in my early notes - and don't know from where)that Razz is higher variance - I thought it was because so many times you end up having to go to the river when you have a better draw. But if what you say is true, and I imagine it is, then if I knew why it could really help my game.

[/ QUOTE ]
The explanation is in your location [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You're a razzmaniac, right? Well, if you play razz like a maniac you're going to get into a lot of big pots with people who think you're a maniac and want to call you down or raise you when they hit a big draw, etc. Then you experience high variance in razz (and post about it in the forums), even if you're good enough to make that style work and be a winning player. If you play more conservatively, you can stay out of many high variance situations. Even going to the river with the best draw isn't all that high variance because you typically stand a much better chance of hitting in razz. You may only win 1 out of 3 pots in that scenario, but you often have to play much thinner draws in other games, or you are RAISING with big draws rather than calling. Two bets > one bet, so the variance in razz is somewhat lower.