Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Hand against teh Jug 5/10 Party

No real history. Villain is a decent regular Tag, we respect each other's game I'd guess. A bunch of regs had been trading blinds for a bit and then a couple of 2/3 stacked unknowns sat down, it's only been an orbit but it feels like the regs are starting to stay out of each other's way. Comment on the flop check if you want but I'm not really asking about that. Should I valuebet river? Should I call now?

Oh a little while ago I played a hand strangely and checked the nut flush in position on the turn w/ a dry sidepot, he bet/called the river with low trips (board was unconnected and it was unlikely he was full). He said it was a weird line, I talked about posting it so he knows I'm 2+2.

I should add we haven't gone crazy-aggro on each other in a while but we're both perfectly capable of suddenly shifting to it.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1015
CO: $516
Button: $4081.50
Hero: $2563
BB: $1237

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $40</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $150</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($310, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($310, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($310, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $188</font>
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Hand against teh Jug 5/10 Party

I fold riv. I'm assuming his range isnt too wide preflop. There just arnet that many hands you beat that he would turn into bluffs.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM

With all the checking, I think you have to call the river. You have to bet the flop though.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM

I play mainly 2/4 and 3/6 but I was wondering about your thought process when checking flop. I've been thinking about checking very strong hands on the turn as you did to maximise value but never got to it, so could you please explain your thought process in this hand as well.
On to the hand, as played it is a value bet and with all the checking I would hate to fold but I don't think you're good often enough to call. I bet flop though...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 PM

i like betting flop. I seriously doubt TehJug is going to bet with air if u check and I doubt he calls a CRAI with much that u couldn't get in in VS if u bet.

cbeting after 3betting on most flops = good IMO.

I like bet fold river a lot more than check call. I probably fold here unless I'm slightly on tilt then I call.

edit: not sure if u know results but I'm going to guess he had AQ here.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM

i just bet the flop and get it in happily. as played i call river 100%.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play mainly 2/4 and 3/6 but I was wondering about your thought process when checking flop. I've been thinking about checking very strong hands on the turn as you did to maximise value but never got to it, so could you please explain your thought process in this hand as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I check the flop with big hands sometimes because I don't want them freely valuetowning me with like QJ+. Also I like to CR draws so I have to balance it. This might not be the ideal board for this though since there's a lot of pair + gutters that will check back and maybe be scared off by a turn card but might call me down if I 2 barrel.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM

if you check hell check back most JT type hands. If you bet hell shove them, which is good. If you check hell most likely check AK for a free draw and hell try to bet most of his range that missed. If you bet hell fold his range that doesnt miss and AK. Based on that, in a vacuum, betting is better than checking but if you CR draws here and CF other things I like it occasionally.

Given how we got the the river id bet. Your hand looks like TT or 78 or something to me and he expects you to fold those. KK is upper part of your range.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM

He can probably valuebet a worse hand, I call.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM

as played I'd just call. Dont see him calling with worse hands here actually, despite your checks.

I'd very much prefer a bet on the flop fwiw.