Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was just lazy policing. Rather than take the time to subdue him, the police thought they could zap him and get out of there quickly. He was a big guy and the police didn't want a physical confrontation. I can't say I blame them. Death by taser is very rare. If the man didn't die, this would have been a non-issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not an non-issue. Their improper procedure is completely unforgivable and their blatant use of uneccessary force should result in
severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it wasn't improper procedure. The Polish man did not follow the officer's instructions (he didn't place his hands on the counter) and exhibited assault like behaviour by throwing computer equipment around earlier. This is grounds for non-lethal use of force. It is up to the officer's discretion on what to use. I don't think the RCMP were out to get anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt watch the video but iirc the man didnt speak english so how was he supposed to follow the officers instructions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he couldn't, which just compounds the tragedy. But a police officer did clearly point to the counter trying to show him what to do. Also, watching the video again, the Polish man was fighting even after being tasered. There was no chance to administer first aid, as he died right after the struggle.

Now the idiots in the NDP party are calling for a ban on Tasers, despite the fact that hundreds of lives have been saved by the device. I would like to see how these armchair quarterbacks would have handled the situation. It's like the idiots who think cops should shoot the gun out of a criminal's hand.

The one practical thing that can be done to avoid this situation is to have an information person monitor the area between customs and baggage. Also, don't quit smoking cold turkey while travelling.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, watching the video again, the Polish man was fighting even after being tasered.

[/ QUOTE ]

But was he fighting before? I mean you walk up and hit someone with your weapon and now you kill him because he was fighting back?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Don't taze me broski.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM

i wonder how cops would handle the situation in countries where they're not equipped with tasers, prolly just shoot him. i mean what are the alternatives?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM

What about countries without armed officers to shoot him? That Polish guy would have taken over the airport.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

They would just beat his ass. That's a much better alternative because no one has ever died from an old fashioned ass kicking by the cops.

The taser and other less lethal equipment are the best of a bunch of crappy options. If you think the cops can just grab the guy and cuff him without hurting and potentially killing him you're deluding yourself.

Edit: The taser may not have even killed this guy. It may have been the weight of the cops on his back causing him to suffocate. I'll be interested in seeing the autopsy results.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about countries without armed officers to shoot him? That Polish guy would have taken over the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful dark sarcasm. Finally something to make me chuckle.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM

"what else are they supposed to do?"

um, get a frickin' translator. it's not rocket science. anyone suggesting tasing was justifiable and the best option is ridiculously wrong. robert did not create the situation. he was mistreated. the airport authority/customs should have never allowed something like this to happen. once it did, the police should have diffused the situation not the man. a guy died for crying out loud and people are like, "meh, he threw furniture." ffs.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM

i think the police are taking a little too much heat for it. i think they used excessive force, on the other hand, why didn't the airport have support for this man?

how will the vancouver airport support the 2010 winter olympics? not to say tourists will be out of hand and hostile, but still... and why couldn't security handle him? isn't that a part of their job?

take another example, i've seen bouncers take guys down with less force, and guys that are fighting.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful dark sarcasm. Finally something to make me chuckle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to crack a grin here too.