Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM

Default NL10 - nut flush on a paired board

Not real reads, except that I have raised from the Button, Cut Off or Hi Jack four times in the last three orbits. Each time the flop was multi-way, and all other players folded to my flop c-bet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($8.01)
UTG ($2)
UTG+1 ($6.54)
MP1 ($3.24)
MP2 ($6.74)
Hero ($6.59)
Button ($4.97)
SB ($3.94)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15.

A nice raise from late position. I'm not playing my hand for ace value, since I've got a crap kicker. I'm playing my position and my aggressive table image. And you never know, I might actually flop something.

Flop: ($0.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Well, I flopped something. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $0.2</font>, Hero calls $0.20, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.25</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $1.05.

I'm a habitual c-bettor. I've recently taken down several pots from late position with c-bets. I see MP1's bet as a sort of bluff/blocking bet/"Shut yo c-bettin' mouth, fool!" bet. I call and hope for an overcall from BB.

The check-raise takes me by surprise. In my mind, he's trying to win the pot right there. That tells me he has a strong hand that's vulnerable to a flush - A big pair, two pair or a set. It could be another flush, but I have the nut flush and right now there is no straight flush possible.

I call, and plan to take down the pot with a nice bet on the turn, or even better a raise on the turn.

Turn: ($3.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

That was not a good turn for me. Two of BB's likely check-raise hands, two pairs &amp; sets, just made a full house or quads. I now find myself with a hand that is too good to fold, but not good enough to bet or raise with.

<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.95</font>, Hero calls $0.95.

River: ($5.40) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.8</font>, Hero calls $0.80.

Final Pot: $7

As I was playing this hand, I really felt at the time that I should have put in a value raise on the river. Even though many of BB's likely hands beat me, I still felt at the time that I was ahead of his range.

Looking back, I think shoving the flop would have been a better play. Thanks to BB's check-raise the pot was big enough to take down right then and there, and I would have been glad to see BB call me with my temporary nuts.

What do you guys say?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: NL10 - nut flush on a paired board

After BB c/r'es the flop I 3-bet, maybe just shove. This is a smaller flush or a set most of the time. What other hands would make that play on a board that scary?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 AM

You want your money going into this pot when your sure its is good. You should have raised that flop at some point. I would have done it the first time it got to me. There is no need to slow play this because people at NL5 are going to play back at you with worse hands, especially worse made flushes.

As played I would generally call this down. You really lost your value on the flop.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 PM

Also remember that another spade kills your action. Also, the paired board scares him if he has a lower flush.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks guys. I initially thought my mistake was in not value betting the river, but I agree I should have shoved the flop.

Turns out BB had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the lower flush, but a straight flush draw. I think when I called his check-raise he put me on a higher flush, but decided to draw to his two outer.