Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
Wohoo! Found the thread. Thought it disappeared into a black hole. Lots of excellent information in this thread.

I'll be down in BA first full week of March. Met, Audi, or anyone else, if you guys want to get together for a beer, drinks are on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not pass up free drinks. How long are you staying here for? Shoot me a PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I do this with every extranjera. And it seems to be the standard. I'm not sure why except everyone is a homophobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow. I kiss my female friends on the cheek when saying hello in the UK too, just not the male ones.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be down in BA first full week of March. Met, Audi, or anyone else, if you guys want to get together for a beer, drinks are on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in. Drop me a line nearer the time.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I do this with every extranjera. And it seems to be the standard. I'm not sure why except everyone is a homophobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow. I kiss my female friends on the cheek when saying hello in the UK too, just not the male ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay,

In the United States we don't kiss anybody on the cheek. In Argentina, they kiss everyone on the cheek. The standard I've seen among Americans is to kiss other American girls on the cheek when in Argentina, but not other American guys. Everyone still seems to kiss Argentines of both sexes on the cheek.

I just find it interesting that Americans have made a half adjustment only. Not that I have any desire to start kissing my male friends on the cheek, but I'm intrigued into how this developed.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 PM

Ahhhh, now I follow, cheers.
That is kinda cheating...kiss both sexes, or neither I say.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:48 AM

Do most theaters play English movies in English, with Spanish subtitles. Or are they typically dubbed in Spanish?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 AM

If you're looking for eastern tastes, there are a few places in my neighborhood that kick ass. All of these places are in like a 6 block radius

Sudestada is like an argentine/thai fusion fine dining restraunt. It's on fitz roy and guatemaula, and may be the best meal I've had in the city (i've been here like 4 months now). They actually have food that's spicy. holy [censored]!

The Green Bamboo is a really really solid vietnamese place. It's also kind of fine dining, but not at the tier that sudestada is~ Great atmosphere, the wait staff/bartenders are A+, the food is excellent as well. I think it's on Carranza and Costa Rica but i would check the guiaoleo before going. A buddy of mine has only tried one dish from there (the duck confit) and i think the kid dreams about it. seriously.

Also, Bangalore is a british pub that has got some pretty good indian food. The squash (calabaza) curry is to go back for. they have a decent selection of curries too. i probably like the food at the indian place on cordoba better. But they have artesenal beer at bangalore and the atmosphere is like a million times better than the joint on cordoba. this place is on humbolt by vega (right by club 69)

i know a few other pro poker players here, we should get together the toughest home game in the continent :x

or at least go get a few beers somewhere [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do most theaters play English movies in English, with Spanish subtitles. Or are they typically dubbed in Spanish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most movies are in English with Spanish subtitles. Cartoons are usually dubbed into Spanish for obvious reasons. Another thing to beware of is that the title of the movie is usually translated into Spanish or often changed completely (for example, The Departed was released as Los Infiltrados).

For these reasons, I recommend picking up a copy of the Buenos Aires Herald before trying to see a movie. It is AR$1.70 and lists the American movie titles as well as if the movie is in English or Spanish. The paper is also a daily English-language periodical so you can keep up with world events while here if you can't read Spanish.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 PM

I recently found this thread about Buenos Aires http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=439584 on a forum I lurk at sometimes. I was taken back by the pretty amazing architecture that is found in that city. I mean it pretty much on par or beats out any city in Europe. Are these like photos all of one street, or are there plenty of buildings like that. http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/6...a6408ac0zi.jpg is this the only street that looks like this, or there are many? What about other cities in Argentina, are they full of such awesome architecture or is it just Buenos Aires? Where do poor people live?
Also I was told that there is a very large % of white people living in Argentina, Is it close to 97%?

Thank you
Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 PM

This is not necessarily specific to BsAs, but how did you go about meeting new people? I assume that you didn't know a single person when you moved there. Was the language barrier an issue for you? I'm sort of a shy person, so I would have trouble going up to a random person and just introducing myself. What sort of things did you do to meet friends?