Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 PM

Default 4-bet re-steal

Disclaimer: I had been really quiet at this table for the past 40 hands or so and had decided to raise up almost any 2 before I got my cards.

My read was that there was a good chance BB was squeezing with a marginal hand here (he was a decent L/TAG he had been re-raising me in position earlier in the session, I folded each time, there was a caller sandwiched in the hand.. blah blah).

I'm most concerned with my bet size here and if it would have been better to just push, but if you want to comment on the decision to resteal that would be great too.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
dd323: $183.55
CO: $321.10
Button: $118.85
SB: $79.30
BB: $189.55

Pre-flop: (5 players) dd323 is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">dd323 raises to $3.5</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $15.5</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">dd323 raises to $55</font>
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 4-bet re-steal

The fact that you've been really quiet for 40 hands or so would discourage me from making this play. Yeah, he might have you pegged as a nit and re-raise any 2, but are most lag's looking to get involved w/ nitty utg raisers? I don't think so.

As for the 4-bet, I don't like this #. If he pushes, we have to call, but you may give him the impression that he has some FE. I guess if you're gonna make the play, just push, but that sort of sucks.

Just fold this utg. Save your any 2 raises for when you're in position, or have a good hand, or don't have active re-stealers. Bad spot.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 PM

I don't like it, but maybe that's because whenever I try to get tricky I drop a buy-in. I guess it depends. He should only really be calling/raising with AA and KK, given your image.. am I wrong here? He's repping a ton of strength with his 3-bet, though. Take your position into consideration.

I also think the initial decision to "raise up almost any 2" is a poor one. Again, when I find myself doing stuff like this, it's because I'm lacking discipline and I'm apt to make a costly mistake.

Your bet size seems fine, though. A push would've been terrible. He should either be pushing or folding to your raise.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM

Kidcolin has most of this right, especially the part about "raise up almost any 2". He isnt repping that much strength pre as it looks like a hand he doesnt want to play post due to 4.5x raise size.
Your bet size is fine. It looks like you have QQ+ here a lot. Flat out 4betting AI always looks really suspect.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Fold preflop twice. Yuck to the 4-bet.

FPS--gets you in trouble. beentheredonethat.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop twice. Yuck to the 4-bet.

FPS--gets you in trouble. beentheredonethat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM

I fold this, but since you didn't, I like the 4 bet. He's been pushing you around a bit, and re-stealing from the blinds is the latest fad, so I don't give him credit for much.

Also, I like a push better, since you have to call if he pushes anyway. Pushing certinly isn't going to diminish your fold equity, and might increase it.