Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

Do you drink a lot of matte?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Almost all of the posts were about moving to or living in Argentina.

Do people have recommendations for visiting? This is still pretty far in the future, probably next december i'd think, but any thoughts on cost/things to do over the course of ~1-2 week(s)?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do people have recommendations for visiting? This is still pretty far in the future, probably next december i'd think, but any thoughts on cost/things to do over the course of ~1-2 week(s)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask any questions you have about visiting. I'll be happy to answer them.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you drink a lot of matte?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot compared to what? For Argentina, no. I usually drink some once every 1-3 days depending. Compared to places without matte obviously I drink a lot.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to be so vague, let me try to rephrase my question.

What I meant to ask was for recommendations on restaurants that are well known and respected for being exceptional (such as Peter Luger's in NY for steak, something that's a MUST have). Do you know of any?

Any recommendations on a nice lounge in Recoleta to take a girl on a date?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some that I've heard are exceptional, but unfortunately haven't had the chance to experience.

I do recommend El Yugo on Ayacucho near Las Heras in Recoleta as a really good restaurant to people. I tend to go there a lot because of its proximity to my apartment. Their bife de chorizo de la casa is incredible. Easily big enough for 2 to share with a salad bar to start (and their salad bar is one of the best in BA). I use this place as a date spot a lot. Usually splitting a bife de chorizo de la casa, each getting a salad bar, and a really good bottle of wine to split runs about 100 pesos (~$30) total including tip.

Just beef in Argentina on a whole is incredible... you can go to any neighborhood parrilla and eat their $4 steak that will rival things you get for $50 in the United States. I'll try to look up some specific restaurants that are really good and get back to you.

As for a lounge in Recoleta.... hmmm. I'd say the only ones are probably near the cemetary in that really expensive, touristy section. There are a lot there though and most seem nice enough. Just walk around and wander into one. Be aware though that there are 2 or 3 hooker bars in that area as well and some of them don't seem like a hooker bar at first (while others obviously are).
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] As always spend some time in BsAs and then try to see other parts depending on the season. December is summer here and I would suggest going south to the Patagonia region. I suggest starting with a lonely planet or fodor's or something to start planning.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM

How much would a cheap hotel run me a night in Buenos Aires? Are hostels/similar alternatives an option?

Are there certain things/areas that are must-see? I'm not into the touristy/sight-seeing things that much, and I speak Spanish fairly well, if that matters.

If a friend was coming into town for a week, what would you tell him to check out?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant to ask was for recommendations on restaurants that are well known and respected for being exceptional (such as Peter Luger's in NY for steak, something that's a MUST have). Do you know of any?

[/ QUOTE ] I really know only one very famous restaurant with a famous chef: Sucre http://www.sucrerestaurant.com.ar/default2.htm

Its very pricy for Argentine standards. I had an excellent Rack of Lamb. My ex-girlfriend and I had appetizers, wine, and entrees and it came to about $80USD. Same meal in a big city in the US would have been $250+.

El Yugo, near Ayachucho and Las Heras, isn't really famous but could be my favorite restaurant in the world. The whole staff comes out to greet me everytime I enter. Not sure if they just really like me or like my money. I tend to think its the latter. Everytime I leave I feel like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner.

[ QUOTE ]
Any recommendations on a nice lounge in Recoleta to take a girl on a date?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't know about Recoleta but not too far from there is Million which is a nice place to go for drinks/desserts. Its on Parana off not too far from Santa Fe. I also know of a lot of places to take a date for dinner. Let me know if you'd like more suggestions as I'd have to look up some information.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 PM

Since I am approaching my 3 month mark of being in Argentina, I am going to have to take the ferry to Uruguay soon. Will probably be doing it in the next week. The web site for those who may need to do the same thing in the future is www.buquebus.com and they appear to have roundtrips on the 50 min ferry for 99 pesos (though it does appear to be a promotion). No need to stay overnight, they have about 5 ferries each way daily so you can stay just long enough for lunch or you can spend the day there if you like. Advance reservations appear to be recommended.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Thank you TheMetetron and Chairman Wood for the recommendations. I will be sure to check those places out.

On the topic of food, a co-worker of mine recommended this site www.guiaoleo.com.ar (literally "oil guide") as a resource to find restaurants in BsAs. Check it out, there seems to be a wide variety of restaurants listed with reviews as well.