Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Default building a poker table

Okay, so i'm gonna build my own poker table. Due to limited space in my apartment I want to build a table top for my dining table. I am in the planning stage, hasnt bought any of the supplies yet, so nothing is carved in stone..

I want a table without a racetrack but with dropdown cupholders.

Since it's a table top I can't place the cupholders inside the rail in the felt area. I think the cupholders you slide under the rail look kinda uncool so i was thinking of building them into the rail.

has anyone done this before and would like to share their pics / experiences?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: building a poker table

My Poker Table

Like this? I did not use a reace track. Also, do not use marine vinyl for the railing. It is a b_tch to stretch.

This is screwed into a standard 6ft folding table but can easily be remove if I need the table for something else.

Also, use the search engine in this forum for "making poker table" or go to Google, there are alot of different ways to do it and there are plenty of instructions out there.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Check out the link in the sticky, it might be helpful.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 PM

found some nice pics for inspiration in the sticky... still gotta search for some trouble shooting regarding getting the rail super smooth tho. will avoid marine vinyl pismeyer.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM

http://www.scottkeen.com/forum/ is the ultimate poker table building site.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
found some nice pics for inspiration in the sticky... still gotta search for some trouble shooting regarding getting the rail super smooth tho. will avoid marine vinyl pismeyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember which link it was that i used, but there was one on homepokertourney where a guy showed how to get the rail smooth by using one big piece of vinyl/leather. I did that on mine, and it worked really well. The piece of vinyl is big enough to set the rail in it, then you fold the outside in, make a cut in the middle and stretch it back over the rail.

For my padding, i just used a foam i got at a surplus store, and im not all that crazy about it. I played on a table where a guy used a layer or two of carpet pad, and that felt really good. I would reccomend looking into that for the rail.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember which link it was that i used, but there was one on homepokertourney where a guy showed how to get the rail smooth by using one big piece of vinyl/leather. I did that on mine, and it worked really well. The piece of vinyl is big enough to set the rail in it, then you fold the outside in, make a cut in the middle and stretch it back over the rail.

For my padding, i just used a foam i got at a surplus store, and im not all that crazy about it. I played on a table where a guy used a layer or two of carpet pad, and that felt really good. I would reccomend looking into that for the rail.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used 2 layers of carpet padding, feels good.
Got one 5x9 pad to get one continuous piece of rail padding, then cut out smaller pieces from the unused portions to put under the larger piece.
linky
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played on a table where a guy used a layer or two of carpet pad, and that felt really good. I would reccomend looking into that for the rail.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I did on mine. Two peices of 3/8" carpet padding - I got it from my local flea market dealer for $18, it was never used and was the perfect size. I used headliner foam beneath the playing surface, it usually runs about $10 per yard at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Hope this helps.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 PM

thanks all, found a lot of useful tips. no more question's for now.. but i'll prob have some more in a while...