Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 AM

Default need ideas for gambling while at the baseball game

Tossup about whether this post goes here or Sports Betting.
I'm Going to Wrigley with a buddy of mine tomorrow. Playing the Reds. Harang on the mound vs. Zambrano. Both of us are currently fairly casual fans, but used to be much more interested. He'll be rooting for the Cubs, while I'll be rooting against (quietly, I suspect...and only because I'm hoping to Milwaukee make the playoffs). Looking for some ideas about gambling games or prop bets that can be played during the game. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: need ideas for gambling while at the baseball game

Pick even/odd innings. Do Homeruns/Strikeouts/Walks/Stolen Bases/Runs/anything.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 AM

The classic one is the ball landing on the mound one. You both put in 5 bucks or however much you want to start. Then one of you goes first. At the end of every inning, the ump will throw a new ball onto the mound. If it sticks at the top near the rubber, the player whose turn it is wins and gets the pot. If the ball rolls off the mound, that player adds a dollar (or whatever you want) and the money passes to the next player.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 AM

this is more fun with 4 or 5 people, but you can do it too.

bring a pen+paper/ do this before you leave.

set up a bunch of categories... here are the ones we use:

first single, first double, first home run, first rbi, first run, first strikeout, first walk, total runs by both teams, total hits by both teams, etc.

you get the idea. basically then you have a draft, and you fill in wherever you want first. so say i get first pick and wanted to take soriano for first home run, i do that. then you can take someone in any category you want, or choose a total. then keep going til all the boxes (categories) are filled up.

you set a dollar amount for each category... say you go $10 for each category... you win 7, he wins 3.. he owes you $40. this is obviously why its more fun with more guys, cause if you win a category, you get everyones money for that category.

there's also another game you can play where each of you put $1 in, so the pot is $2 to start. you each hold the money for a batter.. if he gets a hit, you keep the money. if he makes an out/walks/reaches on an error, you add $1 and pass it back to your buddy. whoever's holding the money when a hit happens, gets the money.

if you wanted to make this more exciting, you could make it the same way, except every out you add $1, if they reach base you don't do anything, just pass it back... and if they hit a home run, you keep the pot.

just a few ideas, obviously very different, but still fun. and both would be more fun with more guys, but this is all i've got for now.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 AM

A friend of mine and I always do half-inning props. We alternate who comes up with the prop and line, and the other picks a side of the line, but you go twice in a row each time so you aren't always handicapping the same team.

Examples:

Numbers of pitches/balls/strikes.
Number of foul balls.
Number of total bases.
Total bases times the jersey number of the hitter that got them.
Number of balls hit out of the infield.
Number of extra base hits.
Number of balls fielded by outfielders / infielders.
Total bases touched safely by runners.
Number of line drives / ground balls / fly balls.
At least one run?
At least one HR? (odds)
Number of ball bounces in the infield.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 AM

i like betting on what a guy is going to throw. nice and simple. if you know the pitcher/catcher you can win some beers off your buddy, too.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The classic one is the ball landing on the mound one. You both put in 5 bucks or however much you want to start. Then one of you goes first. At the end of every inning, the ump will throw a new ball onto the mound. If it sticks at the top near the rubber, the player whose turn it is wins and gets the pot. If the ball rolls off the mound, that player adds a dollar (or whatever you want) and the money passes to the next player.

[/ QUOTE ]I've done this once or twice. Pretty fun way to watch the game. Usually when the ball stays on the mound, you can hear people clapping.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM

We play this game sometimes:

Everyone puts a dollar into the hat and gives the hat to the person on the end. If the first batter gets out, they put another dollar in and pass it on. If that batter gets a single they take $1 out, double = $2, triple = $3, HR = whole pot, double play = pay 2 dollars. You pass the hat for each batter. Of coarse you can use bigger bills to make it more fun... but it does require a decent amount of cash.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We play this game sometimes:

Everyone puts a dollar into the hat and gives the hat to the person on the end. If the first batter gets out, they put another dollar in and pass it on. If that batter gets a single they take $1 out, double = $2, triple = $3, HR = whole pot, double play = pay 2 dollars. You pass the hat for each batter. Of coarse you can use bigger bills to make it more fun... but it does require a decent amount of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this the last time I went with one of my buddies. The only difference we played was a strike out looking was $2 and a double play matched the pot. You could pass your turn by putting a buck in there (obv only do this in double play situation).
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Baseball Bingo FTW!!!

I can't find the official rules for it but it's pretty easy and silly to make up on your own.

LF batting:
single - B2
double - I16
triple - N31
home-run - O74
fly-out - G47
strike-out - B4
ground-out - I18
walk - G52

9 positions in the batting order and 8 possibilities for each batter = 72 of the different numbers are covered.
Throw in seperate numbers for if anyone gets a SB, CS or WP and you're all set.
Anyone who reaches on an error = no number called.

This type of stupidity is pretty common at minor-league baseball games.
I'm a BIG fan of Baseball Bingo.