Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 PM

Default 10NL 2 pair Line check

I don't have any specific reads on villan right here. I don't have PAHUD up but the table has been relatively loose-passive so far.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($7.35)
UTG ($5.35)
MP ($2.55)
CO ($1.62)
Hero ($14.38)
SB ($3.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.05, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.20, CO folds.

Flop: ($0.62) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.62) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.62) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>

The reason I check this turn is to try to open villan's betting/calling range on the river. I'm putting villan all in on this river. I feel like he'll call me with a wider range of hands because I checked behind him on the turn. How do we like this play and do we think that we can get villan to stack in with a strong one pair or weak two pair hand?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: 10NL 2 pair Line check

I understand your thought process, and what you're saying does make sense - that said, I smell a potential case of 'fancy play' syndrome. I guess it worked in that you did eventually get him all in...

Why let him draw for free? Ramp up the aggression a little and alot of players at this level will think ZOMG he's bluffing and stack off fairly light. No reason to think he couldn't have hands that makes your vulnerable on the flop - JT, AK, AQ, etc. Some players will TARP you at this level by flatting with big pocket pairs, too.

Especially at 10NL, I'd:
-Raise more preflop, make your flop cbet larger in proportion to your preflop raise.
-Specifically, If you'd gone ~.40 preflop, then ~.60 preflop, villain is down to ~4 on the turn. A pot sized bet (~2) on the turn will effectively put villain all in on the river anyway, and you don't allow him to draw for free on you on the turn.

Generally: you'd probably have a better idea where you were if you raised preflop, cbet flop, bet turn and then got pushed on, than you do right now.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Raise more preflop.. prolly to like 0.30 or 0.35.

Please, please bet this turn. You're missing HUGE value here. Your thinking is flawed. If your villain has a hand that he'll go allin with, it doesn't matter whether you check the turn and raise the river. However, by checking, you gave him a free card (which isn't that bad given the flop), but thinking that he will open up his calling range is sooo bad. If you bet the turn, you gain the same amount as if you had induced villain's river bet, however, betting the turn will be better for those times that villain folds the river... you lose too much value.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM

I understand the thought process, but if he was chasing with a straight he got there, but if he has a pair and now has a flush draw as well, you need to bet. At 10nl villains will be calling with just about any kind of draw regardless of the price and their stack sizes. Value bet the turn and call any raise. Also if he does have a strong 1 pair hand, he is going with it, if he has a weaker two pair he is going with it, just bet the turn. Also raise more preflop
Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Don't like this...what do we do when river is A/J/10? Bet like 1.2. Are you checking more to induce calls, or because you're afraid of J 10?