Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

Last week there was a very good (and honest) interview with a big Comcast exec in the Philadelphia area. I think he was some bigwig in a Rendell admin, so the dude was pretty slick...but surprisingly honest.

He made some good points which included:

1. If the NFL had allowed cable to bid on the big NFL package, then things might be different.

2. Comcast includes this on some NFL package that they already offer and most people that would want to see the NFL network already have that package.

3. LAst year there were some similar situations and they really didn't get that many complaints.

4. If you wanted to, you could call up and order the NFL network extra plan for a month or two and then drop it.

5. The NFL charges a crapload for the NFL network and compared to the total Comcast viewer's wants, it doesn't make sense for them to pass on this to all viewers. (Same holds true for BigTen network.) He compared this to something like the Lifetime network that is one of its highest rated networks that charges a lot less, so they include it.

Disclaimer: I hate Comcast and would already have DirectTV except that my apartment doesn't have any part that faces southwest.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 AM

I'll get the game here but honestly have no interest in watching.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Effectiveness of spread a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

[ QUOTE ]
Pack plays close games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone hasn't been paying attention lately.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like bigteleven network nfl network is garbage outside of their live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the bigteleven network, but NFL Network is awesome, and the majority of posers on this board that have it share that opinion.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 AM

I've been a sucker paying high Comcast fees for years now. I just called and told them I was switching to DirectTV and they lowered my monthly bill for the next 12 months by $35/month. I then added the NFL Network (and associated channels) for the $7/ month or whatever.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Will this game be shown on Fox/ESPN/CBS in the local markets, or do you still need the NFLN?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 AM

I am guessing it will not be available on Fox/ESPN/CBS. My family lives in Wisconsin and they are already complaining about not being able to see the Dallas vs Green Bay game.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just like bigteleven network nfl network is garbage outside of their live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the bigteleven network, but NFL Network is awesome, and the majority of posers on this board that have it share that opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, NFL Replay, NFL Total Access & America's Game are great shows. During the off-season their's still NFL Replay every Sunday and great coverage of the Senior Bowl practice and the combine.

NFL is thrilled with any uproar from games being on the NFL Network. They want you to complain to your cable company and eventually have the network in more households.

IIRC, in 1994 ESPN2 was just starting and had Duke vs. UNC #1 vs. #2. People pissed that they couldn't watch that or similar games helped the rapid growth of ESPN2.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been a sucker paying high Comcast fees for years now. I just called and told them I was switching to DirectTV and they lowered my monthly bill for the next 12 months by $35/month. I then added the NFL Network (and associated channels) for the $7/ month or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, nice bluff. i recently switched to verizon and they didn't try to give me a discount or anything. lucky for me i wasn't bluffing. now i pay about $30 less per month and get more channels, faster internet, and a land line that i didn't have before. wow i sound like a shill for verizon.

anyway nfl comes with the regular package on verizon, and also rcn which my parents have.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing it will not be available on Fox/ESPN/CBS. My family lives in Wisconsin and they are already complaining about not being able to see the Dallas vs Green Bay game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? From ESPN:
[ QUOTE ]
Fans in each local market will be able to see the game. NFL rules require that games televised on cable must be made available to an over-the-air provider in the home market cities.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3123865