Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Help Me Make a Fitness Bet, Please.

My friend and I are trying to book a big fitness bet. We're having trouble working out the details. We basically want to each set a few quantifiable goals each, make sure our lists are similar to each other's in difficulty, and then base the winning/losing of the bet on how many of the goals we each achieved.

I need some help thinking up some goals.

We're probably gonna run the bet over a 1 month period, then settle up, tweak it, and make another.

So, some goals I had in mind were:

lose x% of bodyfat
Be able to (bench, squat, w/e) y reps at x lbs

I was also thinking of making one goal that just restricts foods. So like, no pizza, candy, ice cream, etc. the whole time.

And I was gonna make one rule: no playing poker past 11pm five nights a week (to help regulate sleep schedule, because my sleep schedule sucks and makes me unable to do anything active some days)

I don't think that a goal like 'go to the gym x days a week for y minutes' will be good for me because it'll make it more of a drag and less of a challenge with goals. Also I could just half ass it when I go to the gym.

I also don't want to go as far as counting calories or anything that takes that much work.

I'm not looking to train for a marathon. I just want to be healthier.

Any ideas for some measurable goals I could have that would be important to me getting in better shape?

Real quick about me:
I'd say I'm equally interested in getting stronger and dropping some weight.
I hate distance running more than anything. I don't mind lifting.
I don't cook at all. I don't eat super well, but I have no problem sticking to a diet as long as the food is easy to prepare/order. (This could be it's own thread, but ez prep/order healthy foods would help me out a lot)
There's a gym 2 blocks from my house that I'm not a member of yet.

Any questions are welcome. Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Help Me Make a Fitness Bet, Please.

random 4am suggestion: make some sort of challenge course that you can't do now, but want to do in the future.

like run a < 8 minute mile followed by 10 pullups followed by 100 pushups and 100 situps and time yourselves and see who wins.

no idea what your fitness level is, but something like this may be fun. are you hsp jman or other jman? aren't there different ones. if you are hsp jman you didn't look that out of shape.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 AM

I would advise that setting some times to play poker,
for example a standard job usally starts at around 9 and finishes at 5 so why not make set times to play poker as saying " no poker after 11pm" is ok but just sitting looking at a computer screen for the amount of hours straight without a break if the games are good is obv going to be bad for you.

so for example playing between the hours of 9-5 each day alone would make u alot healthier an prob feel better for it. obv as the games prob arnt as good at them kinda times u could set 8 hours a day playing poker (if wanted) having 3 breaks for example a half hour morning break a hour lunch and another half hour afternoon break.

Outside poker times you could go for a walk once a day maybe in the morning and a run once a day for like 10 minutes (not along time as you said in ur post u dont like running distances) doing this would also make most poker players probly dont get fresh air let alone any exercise.

On the Food side you could maybe set a diet of 3 meals a day with one meal a day being a salad type dish or pasta dish. (pasta dish being super easy to make... as u said u dnt cook much) You could also list the food you would generally eat like pizzas etc. and make them some kinda treat once a week for dinner/lunch or w/e. that way it may give u some incentive to eat healthy so when the day comes once a week you could eat the pizza or w/e. For the 3 set meals a day i really wouldnt have a clue what would be best to eat as eating salad/pasta day in day out for a month would become boring so research in some good healthy meals would be a must!

id imagine if u followed this for a month with some weight lifting etc. you would be alot healthier.

hope this gives u some sort of idea. gl in the bet.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Personally i was never a huge fan of running but i made a goal 2.5 months ago to run a marathon in under 4 hours (doing blackpool marathon april 28th) mostly for a goal that gets me out of my comfort level and because it's something i want to do before i die so there's no better time than now.

But since doing that i've become pretty obsessed with my 4mile and 3mile times since a lot of the short runs are always these distances.

I think even though you hate long distance running you'd very much enjoy a 5km time goal. It's just extremely competitive against yourself to push yourself over and over again, to fight with your mental toughness and to push through pain. This could be one of the bets. Then add a food restriction bet w/ some kind of point scale and then a lifting bet.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 PM

If you go fast food, make some better choices. Get the chicken sandwiches (non fried) at burger joints, go to subway more etc. Also, el pollo loco has great tasting chicken that's not fried. Just order one of the chicken piece meals, not any of the burritos/tacos/nachos.

It's hard to eat that great if you aren't willing to prepare stuff yourself.

As far as fitness, how about having one part of the bet be who progresses the most in the big lifts over a month?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go fast food, make some better choices. Get the chicken sandwiches (non fried) at burger joints, go to subway more etc. Also, el pollo loco has great tasting chicken that's not fried. Just order one of the chicken piece meals, not any of the burritos/tacos/nachos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't usually eat at fast food places like these. Some places near me I like to order from:

http://www.milios.com/menu
http://www.silverminesubs.com/menu
http://www.narotisserie.com/Kipps_Menu.htm
http://burritodrive.com/BurritoDriveMenu.html
http://www.jimmyjohns.com/menu/menu.aspx

Suggestions? I don't eat many vegetables.. So subs with just veggies are no good.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:11 AM

timed mile would be ok

percentage of bodyweight you can bench would be ok
Old 10-28-2007, 12:32 PM

Give us some numbers for your current bench, squat, etc... and we can help you adjust them for a reasonable 1 or 3 month goal. IMHO, people grossly over exaggerate how much they can improve their lifts in short periods of time, so that could work to your advantage.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 PM

get mostly chicken at kipp's, and for a side get mixed veggies, beans (puerto rican or black) or jalapeno peppers. Aim for a higher chicken:sides ratio.

Mexican is kinda hard to eat clean. Lots of fat. Just control portions. Avoid creamy sauces, opt for tomato and green salsas because it's just veggies and tomato sauce basically. Get corn tortillas whenever possible.

At sub shops, going for extra meat is fine. There's some fat but most deli meats are mainly protein. Pile the veggies on though, so you feel fuller. Watch out for sauces. Lots of fat in those tasty sauces.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 AM

for mex get fajitas