Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Please post your favorite Bible verses here

Perhaps you could ask people to state why a particular verse is their favorite.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Genesis:
19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
19:6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
19:7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
19:8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

Edit: This is my fav because I love hearing how all the sketchy things in the bible are just metaphors. There must really be a solid message of kindness and morality hidden there, mustn't there?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Any inspiring ones folks?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 Corinthians 13
The Excellence of Love
1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
5does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
9For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
11When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ezekiel 25:17
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a movie quote, not a bible verse.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is just a movie quote, not a bible verse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of it isn't, I guess. The last part is at least similar.

Pulp Fiction:

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Ezekiel 25
17And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

Wiki says this:

This is, in fact, not an actual passage from the Bible, but a collage of several passages. Ezekiel 25:17 in the King James Version reads:

And I will execute great vengeance upon thee with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

Jules's pronouncement is a typically obscure Tarantino reference to Karate Kiba/Chiba the Bodyguard, a 1976 film starring Sonny Chiba, whom the director would later cast in Kill Bill. Karate Kiba opens with a nearly identical misquote, likewise attributed to Ezekiel 25:17
Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 AM

Proverbs 14:33
Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning
and even among fools she lets herself be known.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 AM

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die". (Ezekiel 18:4)

* "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing" (Ecclesiastes 9:5 RSV)

* "For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts; for all is vanity. All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again." (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20 RSV)

* "Brethren, I may say to you confidently of the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.... For David did not ascend into the heavens" (Acts 2:29,34 RSV)

* "No one has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven, the Son of man." (John 3:13 RSV)
Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 AM

This one has to be maybe my favorite cause it holds so true to today.

Job 40:8 Would you discredit My justice? Would you condemn Me to justify yourself?
____

# "What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? …Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only?

—James 2:14,24
_______
Jeremiah 29:13

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. .
____
Gen 4:7

If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.
__
Jos 1:8-9 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
__
Isa 7:9 If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.
__

thats it for now,
Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM

If this bible stuff about god is true, is it okay to pull for satan?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If this bible stuff about god is true, is it okay to pull for satan?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pulling for him by default.