Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Jai Alai

I know jai alai is at least mainly, if not entirely, in Florida for US citizens, so most likely only a small percentage of you guys will have any clue what I'm talking about. If you don't know, jai alai is kind of like raquetball but on a bigger court and played much faster. There are 8 "teams" consisting of either 1 or 2 players per team depending on if it is a doubles or singles match. Team 1 plays team 2, 1 point is awarded for winning, and the winner stays on with the next team in the queue coming up next. For example, 1 vs 2, 1 wins, next is 1 vs 3, 3 wins, then 3 vs 4, and so on until all 8 teams have had at least one chance. Each win is worth 1 point the first time through the order and points double once every team has gone at least once.

Betting on jai alai is very similar to betting on horses. You get a program, betting begins about 10 minutes before a match goes off, odds per team are listed just like horse racing (6-1, 7-2, etc), and you can't cash out until results are official.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has experience betting on jai alai. I've gone to Ocala Jai Alai only 4 times now but after the first two times, it's obvious there are 3-4 players who are simply better than everyone else. However, most people go to jai alai to get drunk and maybe make a buck by getting lucky, so generally, the early matches will have all 8 teams going off at around 6-1 or 7-1, as most people have no idea who to bet for. Later in the night, odds come closer to the true odds because certain players are having dominant performances and eventually the masses catch on.

Imagine a 1-1 basketball tournament with 7 random guys and Kobe Bryant, and you could get 6-1 odds on Kobe winning the tournament. I honestly feel like jai alai is like that sometimes. Anyone else have any experience betting on jai alai and any tips/resources?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Jai Alai

I enjoyed reading Steven Skiena's "Calculated Bets." He was doing computer models of player performance to beat the game - but his general advice about which slots in the lineup are most likely to win if the players are equally strong is still a big help to you if all 8 guys are running at the same odds.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM

I can't believe you described Jai Alai without saying "AND THEY HAVE HUGE SCOOPS ATTACHED TO THEIR ARMS!"

Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Don't bet on this guy.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Used to go to Hartford Jai Alai years ago. You learn who the better players are and bet on them. Other than that not much for tips.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Anyone interested in watching some live games on the net can do so every day from Miami or Dania. Matinees start at noon and evenings start at 7pm. Great game to watch and even better to play!

www.onlineracing.tv/miami
or
www.onlineracing.tv/dania
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM

I used to gamble Jai-Alai quite a bit when they still had a fronton in Connecticut. Never pulled in huge paydays, but was able to consistently enjoy small wins by using the same general strategy: Would find the player (in singles matches) who hadn't won in some time, and would bet him across the board (WPS) in any singles matches. I think the "mercy wins" are some part of a code among players. The best player is not nearly as dominant as he would be if the game wasn't so crooked. I'd use winnings from the mercy wins to Q-Box spaced teams (1-4-7, 2-4-7, etc). Anyway, I miss Jai-Alai. Was upset, after moving to San Diego, to find out they had closed the fronton in Tijuana.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Jai Alai is one of the greatest things ever. The only location i bet on is Dania. Only because their website has the ITM% (in the money) What i do is just figure out who has been in the money the most, and combine when they play teams. Also i only bet the middle games cause i dont think they put in their best effort towards the end. PM me if your interested in talking more on Jai Alai. I would rather watch that then the ponies.