Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Some semi-bluffs

Haven't been semi-bluffing too much, because at the limits I play, it hardly ever works. I usually try to pick on spots and the right opponent to run one against.

I figured I'd wait till the turn rather then pop the flop, since that board isn't too threatening and my opponent will probably figure I'm FOS. Felt the Ace was the perfect card, plus it gives me 4 extra outs.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Not sure about this one. Good flop, probably didn't hit him. You guys like a flop C/R, since we risk the turn getting checked through?

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

I hardly, hardly ever 3 bet semi-bluff. But this guy was raising the turn a lot. So it was more of a "feel" play. Anyhow, is this a good play to have in your arsenal?
Especially if you believe your opponent is employing a FSD move?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Some semi-bluffs

In your first two hands I think you should just raise the flop. You'll get the same folds for a cheaper price.

Hand 3 is read dependent, but I like it against a person who uses the freeshowdown play frequently.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially if you believe your opponent is employing a FSD move?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need that read. But if you have it you should go for it with good draws on boards where he would FSD raise.

Its a huge play to have in your book since the pot is often quite big when he folds the best hand.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 AM

waiting for the turn in hand 1 is standard for me if villain 2-barrels any reasonable % of the time.

i wouldn't try 3-bet semibluffing at all at these stakes. i 4 table 30 hours a week and get raise/folded on the turn like once a month.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
waiting for the turn in hand 1 is standard for me if villain 2-barrels any reasonable % of the time.

i wouldn't try 3-bet semibluffing at all at these stakes. i 4 table 30 hours a week and get raise/folded on the turn like once a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem at the very low stakes is that many are afraid of getting bluffed. They just don't trust you because they hate the thought of being bluffed of a hand. To some extent they are often right to think so since many players also have read in poker-litterature that they must be agressive in SH-limit and therefore raises flops with all kinds of crap. Many even raise with two overcards. Raising flop and betting turn will only fold the absolute weakest hands that probably would check/folded turn or river anyway. If semibluffing ever is succesful against theese paranoid players it's on the turn. But be selective because they will only fold high-card hand and rarely low pairs.

I think the best way to exploit the spewy agressive flopplay and the "I won't get bluffed" tendencies at theese games is to play passively on flop with draws and mostly raise with good hands. Wait for turn to semibluff but be selective, read the board and choose the right player. Also let the spewy agressive players bet air on all streets sometime and showdown MP and TP hands. Raise river against thoose players with strong hands since they will often call since they have already invested a lot in the pot. If you raise turn they will fold more often (off course you risk being outdrawn, but with strong hands that is unlikely to be hurt by a cheapcard it's profitable). Thats how I beat the spewy agressive games for 3BB/100 hands...