Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM

Default PAD Has Jumped the Shark -- You Tell me When it Happened

Last week I took PAD off of the TiVo Season Pass list. While I enjoyed it initially, it is too predictable. Like Poker Superstars, it really only had one good year in it. It has reached its 'Jump the Shark' moment. And 'shark' is in no way referring to anything to do with Humberto Brenes so if you are not sure what it means, Google it.

But, most shows have a defining moment where they jump the shark. PAD may be difficult to nail down but for me, the jump the shark moment came when Phil Hellmuth and Chad Brown visited the set and sat through a session while Chad 'Star 80' Brown's gf, Vanessa Rousso was playing.

Discuss.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: PAD Has Jumped the Shark -- You Tell me When it Happened

Ladies night.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Not sure I understand the predictability comment-here is the link from the poll taken before the week started about who would win:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=1#Post11987409

As you can see, the vast majority of people who participated in the poll were way off...the three top vote getters finished 4th, 6th, and 5th respectively, albeiet a small sampling. But from what I've read, many people seem to have enjoyed the action, the lineup, and the table talk from last week's show. I know I did.

There are plenty of good matchups in the second season that have yet to be seen, beginning with this week's, and next week's is one you won't want to miss either.

Perhaps I don't get the "jump the shark" reference, but then, I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I do know this: no man ever agrees with the opinion of another man unless they share the same one.

Thanks for posting.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM

"Jump the shark" expression has jumped the shark a long time ago. It is so widely misused today that it lost all its meaning. It's supposed to refer to long-running TV shows which were once good, but eventually got long in the tooth, and jumping the shark was the (often gimmicky) moment where it became obvious. PAD hasn't run nearly long enough to qualify for jumping the shark, among other things.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:12 PM

saying the expression "jump the shark" has jumped the shark jumped the shark a while back
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM

its from Happy Days. They kept running out of ideas for episodes.....so they has the Fonz jump over a shark in the water.....on his motorcycle. It was one of the last Happy Days.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 PM

And in a brilliant episode of Arrested Development, Henry Winkler's character (the lawyer) was on a pier talking to someone, and when he exited the scene he lightly hopped over a shark that was just lying there. There was no other mention of it in the show and it ruled.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Agree the show has dropped in interest for me, although the mix of players last week was OK. For me, the key to the show is the choice of players - I play alot of SNGs, so I enjoy seeing the approaches the various pros take at each stage. Let's face it, the thing that would really jump-start interest is if a couple of big time internet SNG wizards played - Johnny Bax is just one of many that immediately comes to mind.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM

I still like PAD because I enjoy seeing how different players take different styles into this winner take all format. We've all seen that slow and steady is the best way to get to the later stages but then we have a Chris Ferguson brain fart or a Gus Hanson aggrotard show and a Phil Hellmuth small bet marathon and it's all still enjoyable.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And in a brilliant episode of Arrested Development, Henry Winkler's character (the lawyer) was on a pier talking to someone, and when he exited the scene he lightly hopped over a shark that was just lying there. There was no other mention of it in the show and it ruled.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL, wish I'd seen that one.