Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 PM

Default team poker

can anyone think of a way to work poker with teams? i was thinking it would be great fun, but i could not think of any serious way the players could act together for a common goal. i think it could be tremendous fun if the mechanics got sorted. thoughts?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: team poker

I don't think it works as a team game. I mean why try to find a way it will work as a team game when it works perfectly well as it is?

There is a bit of a team aspect to the game as it is, with players having a piece of each other, but even this is frowned upon.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 PM

There might be a way to do this with player's playing partnerships (like Bridge and Spades).

How about this - each player is dealt two cards as in Hold 'Em. Each partnership bets out of a joint stack.

There is a betting round.

Then a flop is dealt.

There is a betting round.

Then a turn, river, etc. Just as in Hold 'Em.

If there is a show-down the partnership that wins is the one that can make the best hand using exactly ONE card from each of their hole cards.

I'm not sure if this would work (it'd have to be play-tested) but there is certainly room for player's to "signal" to their partners what they have by betting, raising, etc.

So you'll have to be not only good at reading your opponent's but your partner as well since your hand has to use one of the card's from your partner's hand.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM

salmon i think that is a really cool starting point. i definitely like the partnership/ shared stack idea. *runs off to experiment*
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

At BARGE there is a team CHORSE tournament. Get 6 players together and each gets assigned one of the games. I believe they run the games in pairs, so while you are playing Crazy Pineapple, one of your teammates is playing Razz at another table. After each rotation the two stacks are evened up.

I believe there have been team/partnership events at the WSOP in the past as well.

I once I played a game where two partners get 10 cards and have to make two 5-card hands. IIRC it was played for high-only, which was sort of stupid. Perhaps a better approach is to play high-low, or award the pot to best and second-bet hands.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM

iirc sklansky has a bracelet with someone else in "mixed pairs poker" or something. no clue what that is though
Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At BARGE there is a team CHORSE tournament. Get 6 players together and each gets assigned one of the games. I believe they run the games in pairs, so while you are playing Crazy Pineapple, one of your teammates is playing Razz at another table. After each rotation the two stacks are evened up.

I believe there have been team/partnership events at the WSOP in the past as well.

I once I played a game where two partners get 10 cards and have to make two 5-card hands. IIRC it was played for high-only, which was sort of stupid. Perhaps a better approach is to play high-low, or award the pot to best and second-bet hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a proposal at BARGE or ESCARGOT to have a collusion tournament. Tables would consist of five 2-person, or three 3-person teams, who would be attempting to collude. I believe the identity of the team members was to be kept secret.

I thought it was an intriguing idea, but it was rejected as politically incorrect.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

i played in a lame tournament series that was team based. the tournament changed from limit to no limit every half hour and the players would switch out every half hour as well. it was played for points over like 2 months