Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Default River line - 2kPLO8

No real reads. I'm pretty sure by betting patterns that he has a pretty strong low/wrap but there definitely is a chance that he has a set/two pair.

I was wondering if I should Push for value or check to induce a bluff (since I'm stacking off if he has a flush newayz).

Thoughts?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $10/$20
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $3663
UTG+1: $3321.50
MP1: $2254.50
MP2: $3715
CO: $1970.75
Button: $2906.75
Hero: $2025
BB: $3588.75

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($100, 5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $97</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($391, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $260</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1168</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2727, 2 players)
Hero has $740 left and ???
Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: River line - 2kPLO8

IF you are planning on calling anyway I'd give him a chance to hang himself by checking...The only question I have would he be likely to call your all-in with an AK3(5)x?? I think that is the only hand that he could have that you have beat that can call you...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 PM

Location: cook me on your grill and feed me to your neighbors

i have played less than 100 hands of 2k, but from m limited experience it is more bluff-heavy, light-called down than 1/2 or 2/4, where a river bet from villain would, more often than not, have us beat-there's a ton of possible hands that beat you
betting is pointless unless you put him on a weak flush and think he will fold, right? or will this partic. villain call with less than you have?
i think checking is good whether you're good or not, and I also think we probably have to call the river (the worst you're going to be getting 5 to 1) and I think you're good here maybe 25-30% of the time (anyone think that's an optimistic figure?)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Location: cook me on your grill and feed me to your neighbors

i just looked at your line again its kind of a raise-or-fold flop
but i understand you're asking what to do on the end now that you got there
whats this villain's vpip/pfr/wsdn
Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 PM

I disagree with raise-or-folding on this flop as you can't get enough in and we're OOP. I think call &gt; fold &gt; raise.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Shamb is correct here...You CANNOT raise here for the exact reason he gave...You could be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind (relatively speaking for Omaha, like 2:1+) on this type of flop with bottom set and playing deep stacked you cannot get enough in...Calling and evaluating the turn is the play here, ESPECIALLY OOP...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 AM

How aggressive is he? This is a pretty unique situation, but it still helps a little to know.

Your repped a made hand pretty hard on the turn, you'll be getting close to 5-1 on your money, and his hand looks low oriented. Even if you are prone to bluff the turn, just about every semibluff got there on the river. Not a very good spot to bluff, IMO. Then again, tt wouldn't make much sense to semibluff and then not value bet the river, so maybe he shoves hands with zero showdown value.

Two pair with a low draw is a decent part of his range, but I don't see him calling with anything less than queens up for the same reason this is a bad bluff spot.

I think another big factor is whether he'll bet a straight for value. Because the pots so large, he'd probably feel like he gets called by a set. If you give him an ace and another low card, he has the nut straight about 20% of the time, about as often as he has a higher flush.

I'm check calling I think. At this level, I'm sure he occasionly bets a whiffed low when you check to him, and is probably value betting the straight given your likely hand and the size of the pot. He's probably gonna call with the straight too, but I dont think you get looked up by two pair as often as he is going to bluff.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:58 AM

I would check and call.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 AM

Check-call river.

Pounding the flop OOP with a check-raise is very leaky play in this draw rich board.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 AM

I have my doubts that checking can induce a bluff here. You made a very strong move on the turn, and the pot is offering you four to one to call, so Villain would need strong evidence that a bluff would work here before putting it in with air.

If you plan to call any bet here, you're giving the negative freeroll, where villain is more likely to bet only the hands that have you beat, and check the likely losers. Given your turn rep, putting the last bit in has a small chance of knocking out a weak flush that is better than your weak flush. Granted, it's likely V will call with a slightly better flush, but it's still better than checking and watching the 7-high flush check and collect.

(Again, I don't play this rich; grain of salt.)