Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: ESPN really screwed up in their coverage on Tuesday

[ QUOTE ]
PF raiser from the SB means little. When he called it meant something. NOW why scotty would think anything that beats him would fold the river, is a mystery. Thin value bet for A-high maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious, suzzer? I thought you were good.

You're right, a raise from SB means little after btn limps and you are 5-6 handed. But a re-raise from BB usually means I have a good hand. Now a SB call means so do I.

Flop action: K54 2 hearts

SB checks.
Scotty bets (which is fairly standard for any hand scott can have here).
SB calls (his range here is 88+,KQ/AK, maybe KJ, and AQhh/AJhh (although i think sb might either c/r or bet/3bet AI with the draws)

Turn K

SB checks
Scotty checks (fairly standard for a hand like JJ+ for pot control)

River Jx

SB bets 1 million. I think this is where SB really put himself in a tough spot in the hand. Since we all know what he had why would he bet this river? He thinks it's a thin value bet.

Now scotty thinks, if I have JJ+, how would I play this since I have an aggressive image, I could get paid off with a thin value raise since my opponent won't 3 bet w/o a K this close to FT and hell, he might even call fearing I have AK/JJ. Also he knows his opponent is capable of making folds so he'll only call here with QQ+. So he makes it 3.5 million to look like he wants to get called.

However, Tuan is a very good player and I guess had some read on scotty that he was tilting. But I bet you against anyone else or if he hadn't been tilting at the time, this play works 90-95% of the time.

BTW, there is no way scotty's hand has showdown value.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF raiser from the SB means little. When he called it meant something. NOW why scotty would think anything that beats him would fold the river, is a mystery. Thin value bet for A-high maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a call with TT on the river is all that easy..
Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a call with TT on the river is all that easy..

[/ QUOTE ]

for the record, if scotty puts him on TT,99, any middle pocket pair, thats looks like a damn good bet on the end.

edit: on the river, tuan bets 1m into nearly 4.5m pot... it must have smelled an awful lot like a blocker bet to scotty (which it seems to have been), and scotty took a pretty nice shot at taking down the pot imo
Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scotty misplayed? How? Because he got called?

I think it's an awesome play from start to finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

including the less than 1/4 pot c-bet?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:17 PM

I think Scotty should have reraised more, Lam got a pretty big odds on his money with TT.
Scotty could easily have JJ there and reraise his FH on the river, while checking the turn.Make it 6.5m total and Lam can't call.Doubt Lam has any K there...

That's a big hand and they should have shown it...
Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 PM

Agreed. ESPN sucks at covering poker tournaments.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:31 AM

Everyone always comments on how these pros misplayed their hands, but it never occurs to anyone that they were acting on reads!!! I'm sure Scotty noticed that Lam was nervous (which he probably was facing a preflop 3 bet on a king high board) and put him on air. I'm sure Kenny Tran thought he had good reason to stack off with top pair in his downfall hand. Obviously they weren't right in these situations, but they probably would not have gotten as far as they did without trusting their reads and taking similar chances at some point. Give credit to their opponents for throwing them off, whether intentional or not.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone always comments on how these pros misplayed their hands, but it never occurs to anyone that they were acting on reads!!! I'm sure Scotty noticed that Lam was nervous (which he probably was facing a preflop 3 bet on a king high board) and put him on air. I'm sure Kenny Tran thought he had good reason to stack off with top pair in his downfall hand. Obviously they weren't right in these situations, but they probably would not have gotten as far as they did without trusting their reads and taking similar chances at some point. Give credit to their opponents for throwing them off, whether intentional or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT