Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

[ QUOTE ]
i am willing to make the following bet if anyone is interested. not that it matters to the person who might accept the bet, but i've never done this nor tried it, and i train pretty much the exact opposite.

bench press my body weight 300 times in one day, even money.

bench press my body weight 500 times in one day with odds.

to be performed in either dallas or LV for substantial dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

My intuition tells me you would have absolutely no shot on 500, but your willingness to bet makes me question that.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 AM

Tx. Maybe something a little more heads-up. We both bench bw 500 in one day, no blood (good workout). You do, I don't. I pay X. Both don't, but you do more than me. I pay Y.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am willing to make the following bet if anyone is interested. not that it matters to the person who might accept the bet, but i've never done this nor tried it, and i train pretty much the exact opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt this get harder and harder as body weight increases? I assume since you train (and iirc from pics) you are pretty bulky.

I think you need odds on 300 tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm at 215 right now, which is 45 pounds lighter than the heaviest of any pics i've posted on here.

you're correct though, it is harder the heavier you are.

i'll take odds on 300! you laying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, this lends new meaning to the term "self-weighting proposition." I have a hard time imagining you can get big action on this, Tex.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it's not quite like that, b/c i've posted pics of myself as well as a video of myself bench pressing my one rep max, so people know for fact i am what i say i weigh and what i can bench 1RM, so if you've been around weight lifting you'd know how hard this would be given my abilities and my obvious background in lifting the opposite of this challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't mean it that way -- I'm sure you'll be honest with respect to what your weight is, although that was part of my dumb pun. What I really can't imagine is that you'd take this bet unless you thought you could win it, and you know much more about this subject than anyone else does. Put differently, you'd never bet $100K even money on this unless you were darn sure you could win it. Thus, you're the one weighting the bet -- it's self-weighting in the Malmuth/Sklansky sense.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO memorization prop bets can be pretty deceptive to handicap.

For example, odds on memorizing King Lear word-for-word in 1 month?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can memorize that in like 5 seconds. Just 2 words [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tx: I'm obv not betting if I suggested you get better odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO memorization prop bets can be pretty deceptive to handicap.

For example, odds on memorizing King Lear word-for-word in 1 month?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can memorize that in like 5 seconds. Just 2 words [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tx: I'm obv not betting if I suggested you get better odds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you take worse odds? I'm an old man who likes action. El Diablo can personally testify that I am not physically imposing. I just want to gamble.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you said you train for opposite, it means you train for strength. Which means if you weigh 225, then benching 225lbs 13times an hour for 24 hrs (300x) is cake, (unless you can only bench like 240max)

500x is harder but I'd say thats about the point muscle stamina is going to come into play.

Knowing your bench max would make this more likely to happen.

I think I could do this with 75% of my max bench.

[/ QUOTE ]

current- 415 @ 215 this is what he maxes, and weighs.

Im pretty sure i remember seeing those pro challenges with nfl players, benching 225 as many times as possible before giving out, and Im pretty sure I never saw anyone hit 30. I think this is much much tougher than you are thinking it is. 20 times per hour, for 24 hours @ 215?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right about the 225 NFL rep test...30 is excellent, I thought the OSU record was 44 or something but I could be wrong.

However this is completely different than pressing 225lb's once, and taking a 3 minute break. Not letting acid build up in the muscles is key.

[/ QUOTE ]

iirc, Brian Bosworth (while at Oklahoma) put it up well over 40 times in the mid '80s. A quick google search did not confirm.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 AM

I think Charles White USC had some ridiculous numbers in the NFL combine test-- which included bench press for reps, and at that point power cleans. I don't know if he was the best or if he set a record that still stands, but I remember his score being a big deal.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Tx,

FWIW, shemp looks sorta like an accountant. Maybe one who runs and likes to ski with his buddies and stuff.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 AM

First you tell me I'm cute and you want to take me home. Now I look like an accountant?

In any case. There has to be a bw bench press prop in here. We just need to find it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna see somebody do 3 chipotle burritos in 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would be all over this bet back in college, but would probably have to "train" a bit to do it now which is something i'm just not willing to do. i'm sure a handful of ppl on here will take this though. the burritos are definitely tough and misleading though. i would probably take a 4 footlong subs from subway in 20 min than a 3 chipotle burritos in 15 min challenge.