Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars\' crack security team at work!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what original e-mail from Stars you were reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one you posted.

[ QUOTE ]
It was almost accusatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost?

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than accepting that it was quite possible (in fact, likely) that the person sending me the penny was some random doofus, they demanded to know "my relationship with HoldumGod", with language that implies they are assuming that there is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a financial transaction between you and them. Assuming there is some sort of relationship there is reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, the letter was written in a "polite" business-like manner, but it was composed to where it assumes my guilt and I have to prove my innocence.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one you posted doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]
I would understand them taking that tone if I had initiated the transfer, or had some part in receiving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand that if someone had hacked into someone's account and stolen the money that it's the one receiving the transfer who is most suspect don't you?
[ QUOTE ]
Given that their system allows anyone to transfer to anyone else at any time, they need to approach their long-time honest customers more gently when something like this occurs. That's the insulting part.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could have said something in the e-mail to the effect that they didn't think you were taking part in any shenanigans but I am not sure why you think they should.

[ QUOTE ]
The unprofessional part involves Stars' security using the "suspend first / think about it later" methodology of dealing with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What planet do you live on that this is unprofessional? Locking the accounts is absolutely ten billion percent the first thing they should do when they know an account has received funds that are reported stolen. That you don't understand this is incomprehensible.

[ QUOTE ]
Having paid somewhere around 100k in rake during my time there, I have a right to be treated as one of their more valued customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough but treating valued customers well doesn't extend to ignoring their security protocols.

[ QUOTE ]
Given that there have been ZERO problems up until this point involving my honesty, this is a situation where they needed to give me the benefit of the doubt, especially since the amount transferred to me was just 1 cent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the recent cheating scandals they needed to have a zero tolerance policy.

[ QUOTE ]
Acting professionally here would take all of these matters into account before suspending me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think they didn't? You're assuming that if they had they wouldn't have locked your account. That assumption is questionable.

[ QUOTE ]
Unprofessional actions involve blindly freezing my account and sending out a psuedo-accusatory e-mail, simply because some dope with stolen money sent me a penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have acted more professionally in this matter than you have. They stated the situation politely and asked for your side of the story. You whined that you are a bracelet winner and good customer and shouldn't have to deal with their security procedures.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This cracks me up because around the time that Neverwin was rumored to be busto-ed I xfered him 10 cents, we used to do that a lot to the guys in the 100/200 game, just as a joke. I'd hate to think that 'cause of that people are getting locked down.

I can't believe Mike O'M popped up in this thread and has ignored several others where people were specifically asking for his response. Makes me happy I'm not playing at party right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

where does Mike O'Mally show up in this thread? i though his screenname was Partypoker

[/ QUOTE ]

Rzitup = M O'M.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than accepting that it was quite possible (in fact, likely) that the person sending me the penny was some random doofus, they demanded to know "my relationship with HoldumGod", with language that implies they are assuming that there is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a financial transaction between you and them. Assuming there is some sort of relationship there is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be a politician. It's amazing how you throw around words like "financial transaction" to describe a 1 cent transfer, and use that language to justify the suspension of my account.

Financial "transactions" on Stars vastly differ from similar transactions from, say, a bank. For someone to ship any sum of money to my bank account, they would have to have the specific bank name and account number. That information isn't available to the public, so a questionable transfer between bank accounts can be suspicious on the part of both parties.

On Stars, all someone needs to transfer money is a penny and the knowledge of the handle "Dan Druff". Therefore, it is highly possible (and in fact likely) that a stolen penny being sent to me was done without my consent or knowledge.

You can go on and on about "stolen funds" and "the one receiving the transfer who is most suspect", but that doesn't change the following facts:

1) It was only a penny, so the transfer itself was literally worthless to me.

2) I have been a user on the site for over 3 years, played hundreds of thousands of top limit hands, and have a spotless record regarding honesty and legitimacy.

3) I have received no other transfers over $1 from anyone over the past several months.

4) Anyone can send any amount of money to anyone at any time, without the cooperation of both parties.

Combine the above factors, and the chances of my being involved in some stolen money scam are just about zero. Furthermore, even if I *AM* involved, simply locking all further transfers into my account until this is further investigated would do the trick.

An intelligent person will look at all mitigating factors before taking a particular action.

A trained monkey will act the same way to every similar situation, regardless of the exact details.

You appear to be intent upon defending the Pokerstars Trained Monkey school of thought, and it seems that you will be impossible to convince otherwise.

I think I'm just about done with this thread.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 PM

2) I have been a user on the site for over 3 years, played hundreds of thousands of top limit hands

We just had to have it one last time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DORK!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An intelligent person will look at all mitigating factors before taking a particular action.

A trained monkey will act the same way to every similar situation, regardless of the exact details.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand that PokerStars isn't a man behind a curtain, it is a corporation with a lot of employees don't you? Corporations put security protocols in place to protect the corporation's assets from attacks both external and internal. Deviating from those protocols would likely get someone reprimanded if not fired.

[ QUOTE ]
You appear to be intent upon defending the Pokerstars Trained Monkey school of thought, and it seems that you will be impossible to convince otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't often change my mind when I'm right.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm just about done with this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly aren't doing yourself any good here.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Is the account still closed? If it was re-opened, how long was it closed?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:01 PM

You still didn't answer for long was your account suspended?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:04 PM

The account was suspended for about a day.

While that might seem trivial, it was a day longer than I should have been suspended.

In fact, there was a really good 100-200 game that I wanted to be part of (a rare occurrence nowadays), and I was unable to play it. While far from a tragedy, it was annoying and shouldn't have happened.

Also, why didn't Stars even try to call me? Wouldn't a simple phone call be preferable than automatically suspending the account of a longtime player?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 PM

wait, is Dan Druff that chick from maxim that monied in the WSOP?

Maybe it is just that time of the month, you no chicks get really irational then don't you?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 PM

LOL I JUST REALIZED THIS WAS THE GUY FROM THAT WSOP FT, AND TO BE HONEST I FOULD HIM ARROGANT AND ANNYOING AS HELL. FLAME AWAY!