Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Facts about your job that most people don\'t know. . .

We all know things about our chosen field that the common person doesn't but would find interesting/useful.

I used to work for a credit card processing company. The merchant is required to keep your signed credit card receipt for a set amount of time. If they cannot provide the actual copy that you signed, your transaction is charged back. There was a story going around about a woman who worked for American Express who got her entire honeymoon (a cruise) for free, because she always kept the signed copy of her receipts and gave the merchant the copy. When she got home she disputed every single charge. Often times a threat of initiating a chargeback is enough to get most companies to refund your money, a merchant is charged $25 just to have a chargeback initiated against them, so if you want to dispute a $19.99 CD purchase, they are way ahead just to give you your money back.

Others?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Facts about your job that most people don\'t know. . .

You have just saved me so much money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have just saved me so much money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't work for Geico.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 PM

does this work the same for debit card purchases? because a friend of mine paid for dinner one night, and they came back and said his card was denied, so I paid in cash, and then he got charged anyways, and he tried to dispute it, but it wouldn't let him for some reason.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a story going around about a woman who worked for American Express who got her entire honeymoon (a cruise) for free, because she always kept the signed copy of her receipts and gave the merchant the copy. When she got home she disputed every single charge. Often times a threat of initiating a chargeback is enough to get most companies to refund your money, a merchant is charged $25 just to have a chargeback initiated against them, so if you want to dispute a $19.99 CD purchase, they are way ahead just to give you your money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad worthless pieces of [censored] like this make it so difficult for me to get a valid chargeback when I actually need one.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Let's see......

1) It's not really an Emergency Room - it's a "the american health system is in the final stages of decay before total breakdown so we'll try to save your ass room, most nights.

2) George Clooney is not the standard for looks, although some of us are strikingly handsome.

3) If you leave a tampon in for three weeks and I have to go get it, it will look fuzzy, brown and smell so bad it'll clear the whole department.

4) All bleeding stops eventually.

5) Nurses and doctors get along just fine...and there's not a lot of extracurricular activity going between them.

6) Hospital coffee tastes awful. We send a runner to Peets.

7) If you lie to me so you can get narcotics, and I give them to you, you didn't fool me. I just didn't give a [censored] - but I know you're a useless piece of [censored].

8) It's not first come first served, no matter how important you think you are, or who you know. I decide who gets seen and when.

9) Doctors don't hate lawyers. It's much stronger than that. The only time I saw every doc in my 44 man group simultaneously happy was when the biggest PI attorney in town came in and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We won't be sending flowers. Although I may drive on up and laugh at his upcoming funeral.

MM MD
Old 06-14-2007, 03:23 PM

that was the best thing I ever read.

all i have to say is spay and neuter your dog.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:23 PM

I own and run two comic book stores.

And in spite of what people think, the publishers tell me less about upcoming products than what they tell the general public. Even though I buy the vast majority of my product non-returnable making me, in effect, the end consumer for thier product, I am more likely to find out important news about an upcoming project from news sites catering to the public than I am from the weekly direct e-mails I get from the companies themselves.

Unless they shoot Captain America in the head, then the NY Times knows about it before I do.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:25 PM

-hobbes

why so much hate for lawyers? you must have some deep seeded jealousy or something.

also, the OP gave readers a little insight into how his industry works and effectively gave us a tip on how to deal with chargeback issues, however your post is just filled with self-righteousness and platitudes. you sound like an awesome doctor.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does this work the same for debit card purchases? because a friend of mine paid for dinner one night, and they came back and said his card was denied, so I paid in cash, and then he got charged anyways, and he tried to dispute it, but it wouldn't let him for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything with the Visa or MC logo is guaranteed. Also, Visa and MC are non-profits. Who knew?