Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

It was really nice of Weiss to let Navy win this game. As mentioned above, if he simply never calls a pass, I think ND wins. I just don't see how his late game playcalling was excusable. As somebody rooting for Navy, I got all a-flutter every time Sharpley dropped back.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

A really good post by a ND Alumnus-
[ QUOTE ]

Before anyone decides to question my ties to Notre Dame, I'm a third generation alumnus (Class of 1988) and my son entered Notre Dame this fall. I donate money each year to the history department as well as other special campaigns from time to time. Our relationship to Notre Dame has been a constant in my family since my grandfather matriculated on the GI Bill after the second world war, so if anyone wants to question my ability to discuss or constructively criticize the university or athletic program based on this being my first post, I would suggest that you not bother to read what follows.

Charlie Weis is the worst coach that I have witnessed in following Notre Dame football since the early 1970s. I say this not solely based upon his coaching ability, which I'll get to later, but also his mind-numbing arrogance, hunger for self-glorifying publicity and seemingly endless ability to make the whole endeavor about Charlie.

When Weis came in, I was willing to believe that he was handed a short deck and was willing to give him a chance to prove himself despite several rather disagreeable personality traits which I felt did not shine particularly well on Our Lady. The initial recruiting success combined with an apparent on-field turnaround was enough to quiet my doubts about the man. This year, however, has revealed what Charlie Weis is all about.

This program is in free fall, and anyone counting on Weis' ability to recruit his way out of his own ineptitude is delusional. As for his recruiting, anyone could have come in under similar situations and recruited lights out with any effort. Given Notre Dame's built in advantages (national television network, Catholic school network, national fanbase, history and tradition) which far outweigh the disadvantages we face in not being able to recruit some academic casualties combined with the recruiting jump that any historically powerful program gets with a coaching change as kids suddenly become excited about being part of the revival combined with the insane amount of postive publicity heaped on Weis his first two years (the waving of the Super Bowl rings, "decided schematic advantage" reported across the country, Pass Right and the ensuing weeklong media lovefest, the 60 Minutes interview, BQ for Heisman) how could Weis not recruit well? Now that the bloom is off the rose, let's see if he can maintain it over the next several years. That will prove the true test of his recruiting abilities.

Each year, there has been a decline in basic football fundamentals: blocking, tackling, personal discipline, the kicking game. Why? Because those things don't reflect upon Weis' alleged schematic genius. Far better to win with his NFL bag of tricks than sound football. Sound football is for loser non-geniuses like Tressel, Carroll and Stoops. It's all about Weis.

Evan Sharply--this kid has heart and talent. Why wasn't he given a shot? Why did we have to wait until the wheels had come off the bus AND the overrated Clausen was hurt? Because Sharply wasn't Weis' recruit. Heaven forbid Weis actually play the better quarterback (recruited by the evil Willingham) over his own chosen golden boy. It's all about Weis.

Yesterday's field goal debacle is another shining example. Heck, any coach can win by kicking a late 4th quarter field goal. That's the stuff of non-geniuses. Make the 4th down conversion, however, and Charlie's gutsy playcalling and schematic genius is all the talking heads would be discussing for the rest of the afternoon and evening. It's all about Weis.

Charlie Weis is a fraud. He is a self-glorifying, arrogant blowhard without the slightest clue of how to be the head coach on the sidelines nor of how to run a major college football program. Despite his protestations of undying love for Notre Dame, he hoodwinked and bullied and conned his way into the monstrous contract before proving himself, and now an university that has been a beloved cultural tie among my family for four generations is paying the price--both financially and otherwise. I can deal with losses. I can deal with losing seasons. I can deal with blowouts and the Navy streak ending. I can no longer deal with Charlie Weis being the face of Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM

LOL, front page of NDNation read: 43-1. Yeah, take solace in that. I don't know why Navy showed up, they barely even won. Their cheating was even more rampant than last year.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Very simple - if ND loses next year he should go. 10 year contract or no 10 year contract.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I refer you to the great quotable enemy of ND, coach John McKay his Bucs went 0-14:

"Who cares? It doesn't matter if you aren't first. Seattle won two games. Should we throw them a party?"

In other words, if Notre Dame beats Navy in the final seconds... So What? Is that going to mean anything in 2008?

- The Fat Man is Still Our Savior

[/ QUOTE ]

Best John McKay quote evar-

[ QUOTE ]
; once questioned about his team's execution, McKay quipped, "I think it's a good idea.";

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I refer you to the great quotable enemy of ND, coach John McKay his Bucs went 0-14:

"Who cares? It doesn't matter if you aren't first. Seattle won two games. Should we throw them a party?"

In other words, if Notre Dame beats Navy in the final seconds... So What? Is that going to mean anything in 2008?

- The Fat Man is Still Our Savior

[/ QUOTE ]

Quitting is like everything else in life. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, front page of NDNation read: 43-1. Yeah, take solace in that. I don't know why Navy showed up, they barely even won. Their cheating was even more rampant than last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

go yale!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

According to coacheshotseat.com, Weis is now the #2 coach on the hot seat. Here is their write-up of his situation:

2. Charlie Weis - If anyone is still defending Charlie Weis and his performance in South Bend, then there are clearly some people that are on leave from a mental institutions in the general public or working in the media. Most housewives in America could have been gone to South Bend last Monday and coached up the talent on this Notre Dame team for a week, and come out with a win against woeful Navy. Alas, Charlie has now sunken below what American housewives could have done, and that leads us to the very obvious massive elephant that is sitting in the middle of the room in this debate on Weis. Why are Notre Dame fans not burning Weis' effigy, and calling for Weis' firing, when only 4 short years ago they were ready to throw Ty Willingham overboard for what is now a better record than Weis has put up? Why indeed, which brings us to how Notre Dame and their fans treat a black Protestant man from North Carolina one way, and how they treat a white Catholic from New Jersey in a different way. Notre Dame put down the marker that Willingham was not getting the job done, and Weis now has a worse record, which presents us with the very obvious double-standard that is the University of Notre Dame and their policies towards their employees. This in fact might not just be a coach hiring and firing issue, but something for the EEOC to take a look at, because it is now very obvious that the people in South Bend have two different sets of policies for different types of people. Coaches Hot Seat does not look at this situation with an agenda, because we are about as lily-white and establishment as you can get (okay, the boys at the Harvard Club in New York might be a little stuffier than us), but something just does not smell right in South Bend, and we think it requires our and the media's complete attention. Of course, there may be a perfectly good explanation why Weis is not on the chopping block, and a little birdie in South Bend tells us that in the contract that Weis signed in October 2005 that extended Weis at Notre Dame through the 2015 season, has no buyout on either side. Thus, if Notre Dame fired Charlie Weis this year they would owe him somewhere in the range of $30 million dollars. That is a check that not even Notre Dame can write, so in fact Notre Dame and Charlie Weis are married to each other, at least for the foreseeable future, and that fact brings up all kinds of questions as to the judgment of not only Kevin White but the President and trustees at Notre Dame as well. Yes, it is bad in South Bend, but much worse than that it is just plain sad.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatBlog.htm
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Can we change it from "Charlie Weis: Offensive Genius" to "Charlie Weis: Contract Writing Genius"?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:20 PM

This thread is quite possibly the best thing to happen to the internet in a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
a little birdie in South Bend tells us that in the contract that Weis signed in October 2005 that extended Weis at Notre Dame through the 2015 season, has no buyout on either side.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is true sooo bad!