Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 8

John Madden def. would've been proud.

"I'd throw to the back pylon. I told Stabler/Casper to do that vs. the Colts in '78".
Old 10-21-2007, 02:08 AM

Nice thing about that call too is it's a timing route more than anything, so you're not going to run the risk of having a guy covered and then sit there and scramble as time runs out. Just take your drop and throw. Also less of a chance of a sack.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 AM

On a completely different tangent, where does Gameday go next week? USC @ Oregon looks like it's probably the game of the week, but as much as I'd love to see it I know they won't be coming back to Eugene a second time this year so where will they be? Happy Valley to play up the "potential upset of the #1 team" angle?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 AM

Just like to note. Rutgers >>> College Football. Yessur.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Hasn't Gameday already been to Happy Valley for the Penn State/Notre Dame game in Week 2 or did I just imagine that? Anyway, Penn State would probably get it if they're eligible as PSU/OSU is a pretty huge game for the national title race. Penn State and Michigan look to be the only teams that have a legitimate shot to knock off Ohio State.

If they can't use either of those, they'd probably have to go to Tempe for the Arizona State/Cal game. That's pretty significant too in that it's ASU's first test against a real opponent and gives the nation the chance to see if they're a legitimate contender.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hasn't Gameday already been to Happy Valley for the Penn State/Notre Dame game in Week 2 or did I just imagine that? Anyway, Penn State would probably get it if they're eligible as PSU/OSU is a pretty huge game for the national title race. Penn State and Michigan look to be the only teams that have a legitimate shot to knock off Ohio State.

If they can't use either of those, they'd probably have to go to Tempe for the Arizona State/Cal game. That's pretty significant too in that it's ASU's first test against a real opponent and gives the nation the chance to see if they're a legitimate contender.

[/ QUOTE ]
Were they already in Happy Valley? I forgot about that, but you may be right. ASU it is I guess, even though Cal's second loss tarnishes that game somewhat. The only other candidate would have to be Florida @ Georgia, but they've already been there this year too.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 AM

Wiki shows Happy Valley next week, which they have not been to. Who knows whether that's true or some Penn State fan's hopeful edit.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Were they already in Happy Valley? I forgot about that, but you may be right. ASU it is I guess, even though Cal's second loss tarnishes that game somewhat. The only other candidate would have to be Florida @ Georgia, but they've already been there this year too.

[/ QUOTE ]

UF @ UGA is in Jacksonville. I don't know if that makes any difference at all. Rutgers vs West Virginia doesn't have a shot I guess? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 AM

Tide rolled today. The offense has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season and the defense puts up one of its best performances so far this year. I really liked how we spread the ball out to so many different receivers, and a lot of our 2nd and 3rd string players really stepped up today.

When LSU comes to t town week after next, it's gonna be a real slobberknocker. I can't wait.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 AM

alright...I'm back from all the game, drinking, eating, and whatnot

just a pathetic display of football tonight

one team cannot snap the ball to the QB and insists on turnovers in the redzone

the other team makes penalties that are essentially turnovers

awful catching of thrown balls
awful thrown balls
awful special teams
both ways

In a battle of who could make bigger mistakes, Illinois won. Unfortunately, winning that battle means losing the game. Things still looked and felt good until the muffed punt.
No reason for Hudson to be back there all year. His earlier non-fielding of a punt led to the first Michigan FG on the swing in field possession.

Eddie McGee needs to learn to pitch the ball every once in awhile. On the 3rd down play where he took the big hit, Mendenhall was open and would've had the first. Mendenhall was visibly upset after the play.

Still a bit upset it was a 15 yard penalty instead of 5 on the punter. Incidently, that punter should be fined if he was in the NFL. After hollywooding it up on the field, he was without trainer assitance and joking it up on the sideline 2 plays later. He even came out for the second half and showed off his vertical by jumping and slapping the crossbar. Really pathetic, but it's the big11ten and one knows the way things are going into the game. Amazing that Long never gets a holding....simply amazing.

Carr outcoached Zook
Carr used a few offensive formations (one in particular) that I've never seen him use before. He realized throwing was the only way to beat the Illini and had a new shotgun set to do it. Carr also hit that trick play, which was almost perfect. Zook got far too conservative and tightened things up. After burning Michigan deep on the first drive (with a play straight from Oregon), I have no idea why he (or the OC Locksley) didn't call for a few more of those deeper strikes. I understand Illinois doesn't have many real receivers on the roster, but how can a spread team not test the Wolverines through the air much after they've shown themselves to be incompetent over and over.