Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
do i have to call flop and turn too? does he know i have aa?

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows you have AA but the money was all in on the flop in the example given. There is no panacea provided, but again the concept is still applicable in some, not all, situations.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no your concept is ridiculous. i dont think u understand poker at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said sir. I look forward to your forthcoming forum posts (and dare I hope a poker book?) to learn the truth.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u limp hoping to reraise. its unlikely your reraise gets called more than 1 in 15

[/ QUOTE ]

Then limp/reraise is hugely profitable even if holding 2 cocktail napkins.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
u limp hoping to reraise. its unlikely your reraise gets called more than 1 in 15

[/ QUOTE ]

Then limp/reraise is hugely profitable even if holding 2 cocktail napkins.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes if done sparingly. obviously if u do it often enough ur going to start getting looked up, however since its not done often, doing it with aa likely just wastes ur hand.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM

I just finished the book last night and I must say that I am very impressed.

The writing style is clear and articulate. The authors do a great job of emphasizing, and reemphasizing, the main points. It was asked earlier whether this book will be ground breaking and I think it has the chance to be. The ideas about target SPR's give concrete ideas that players can grab a hold of. I believe the creative and different ways of looking at the preflop plays to make with AK, and hands like it, could give a fresh perspective and allow many players to play these hands more profitably.

Specifically SPR's work towards winning the battle of mistakes and adjusting to stack sizes(among other things) which are two key no-limit skills. The SPR concept is also very flexible and will allow players to adjust it to their thinking.

I haven't got to try out these concepts yet but I plan to take them for a test drive sometime this weekend. I am looking forward to it and I believe this book will add a lot to my game.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets take that aa hand for example/ lets play it out a few ways

u make a standard raise to 8 bucks and get a caller, flop j73 rainbow. now if u get heat u have to play poker.

u make a big raise like the book suggests to 20. u likely get nothing but folds and u win the blinds.

u limp hoping to reraise. its unlikely your reraise gets called more than 1 in 15, and it might just get limped around. either way ur chance of ever winning a nice pot is tiny.

out of these 3 options im choosing 1 every time and just playing poker when i face heat, as im going to make much more money this way rather than trying to create an spr that means i dont ever have to do anything but mash the bet button post flop

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot stack sizes. If you mean to use the $200 stack size in Jeff's example, then you must not have read the book because the book does not recommend raising 10xBB in EP with AA at 100xBB stacks.

Read the book, like several of us posting on this book review thread have, and then get back to us.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished the book last night and I must say that I am very impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who has actually read the book is impressed with it.

It's the people who have only read excerpts or discussions about the book that seem to be the most argumentative about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

FYI guys, a thread in the uNL forum:

link
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Any chance we could get back to reviews instead of continuing to argue with 2 posters that haven't even read the book?

Fyi, I played a live session last night and discovered that trying to keep up with SPRs can be a little daunting, especially when you have players that haphazardly stack their chips. In one case, I was off by about $50 when the money went in...luckily it wasn't a hand I was playing. I know that this will get easier over time.

At any rate, I believe there will be those that read this book and then get lazy at the table. I'm trying not to be one of them.

I mean a lot of players are to lazy to calculate the pot and work out the odds much less determine a range of hands, equity, SPR, etc. Note: I'm speaking of the low to low-mid limits.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about 'Sup Bro'. In the first orbit examples at the end of the book the muscle-bound 20-something with a pink shirt and popped collar, is this a reference to the legendary 2+2 poster who was an all-county linebacker in H.S. and had 17 tackles for losses?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is indeed the legendary 'Sup bro.