Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Poker Sites with Good Stud Action

Well one thing, which I still see, yet don't understand...

On Crypto there are predominantly tight rocks in the stud games. This is one reason the hight-ante games are unbeatable. Even if you can slightly outplay a rock, the rake tax is just too much to over-come unless you have an idiot in there.

Yet, many times when a couple players sit down and start ramming and jamming every pot like a retard, suddenly many of the rocks will either leave or sit-out. And then you risk the whole table breaking up!

I don't get it. You'd THINK there should be a ton of people wanting to jump on the waiting list for that. After all, how else are you going to beat the rake tax?

Someone, please explain to me the logic in this?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Poker Sites with Good Stud Action

One thing you don't seem to be taking into account in your decisions as to where to play and which games to play is the differences in how they are structured. Not knowing the style of game you play and what your "comfort zone" is, I won't offer you any advice on which games might be better for you than others.

However, be advised that the structure in general between stud games offered on FTP and PS is very different, i.e., FTP stud games generally have high ante/low BI/high completion ratios and PS stud games have low ante/high BI/low completion ratios. These differences definitely affect the prevalent style of other players you will find at these two sites, and hence should affect the strategies you use.

Also, some of the games at these two sites go more to the extremes of the ante/BI/completion ratios than others offered at the same site. For example, the 2/4 stud games at FTP have an extreme high ante/small BI/large completion ratio, and the 1/2 and 2/4 stud games at PS have extreme small ante/large BI/small completion ratios. However, the 3/6 stud games offered at both sites have more moderate ratios with the same general tendencies.

Between the two sites, I play about 5K hands per month of stud-hi and razz, so if you want to PM me to discuss playing styles in more detail I can tell you quite a bit from my experiences.