Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: AC Food? Chef Vola\'s, White House Subs

[ QUOTE ]
For lunch I may hit up white house subs...anyone been?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're good and always have been, but not quite worth all of the hype. Very hot tourist spot though, and very busy.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: White House Overrated

Now I may get flamed here for blaspheming an institution, but if you are from New York or NJ there is nothing special about this place. I went on Labor Day weekend and sampled about 3 different offerings and was unimpressed.

In any Italian community of NJ or NYC (Hoboken, Brooklyn, Arthur Ave) you can get much better sandwiches including better quality Italian bread and higher quality meats - no contest. I guess if you are from anywhere but the Northeast you would think you've been to sandwich mecca but it is not the case - i just don't get it. Maybe the people who love this place also think Chicago has the best pizza!!

BTW, if these guys were the originals they clearly have let every other major national chain steal their concept and make $$$$ billions.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 AM

If you are from the NY/NJ/PA area, you might not be that impressed with WH. Of course some people will have had better, or prefer one of their local places that they know or grew up with. The fact alone that WH has been there for years is worth going there and trying one.

As for letting national chains steal their concept, I don't think there is any competition at all. All of those 'national chains' make second rate sandwiches compared to WH or those little locals places where you get your favorite sandwich.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM

A big part of it is the the local Formica bread used for the rolls. Because of the AC water and the ancient ovens, you really can't reproduce it anywhere else anyway. Any good sub shop around here uses those rolls, not just WH.

Micchelli's of Somers Point puts out probably the best subs and pizza in the area now, and it's worth the trip if you're anywhere near it. In AC, eh, the quality has dropped off quite a bit... there's a much smaller native Italian population now, so most of the good old delis are gone. A lot of once-great Italian pizza and sub shops have had to put out lesser quality stuff to sell to a greater number of poor, immigrant residents.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM

nice, I'm pumped. I read that they kind of specialize in veal..I usually avoid beef and almost always veal. Pretty delicious how they raise those cows.

FYP
Old 06-04-2007, 06:48 PM

just got back

white house and chef vola both overrated but probably good for AC. white house subs are gigantic, that is true..but otherwise I've had much better without waiting in line for 45 minutes. chef vola's is pretty cool to visit, and also has large portions but is overpriced and my chicken was extremely bland.