Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: New Bellagio NL Rule - The Betting Line

Bellagio also decided to enforce the betting line in the limit games which is [censored] retarded. One point no one mentioned is that their line is noticeably farther in than any other betting line I have seen, particularly from the end seats. I’m average height and had to lean over annoyingly far to cut chips over the line from the 3 seat. Anyone who is short is basically going to have to throw the chips out there or lean way over. This has the potential to open up a ton of angles since the dealers aren’t real consistent on enforcement and most of the players have no clue about the changes. And all of this to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM

I really don't understand everyone saying this is a good rule.

It's worthless, and it does open the door for another form of angle shooting. The simple way to handle it is just use your head. If a person makes a betting motion, well that's probably a bet.

This line is not only useless, it adds another layer of confusion. Announcing your action is smart, of course, but it's not a rule. When a person slides out 10 red chips and pushes them forward in a stack, but one falls off the top and bounces behind the line, is it 45 or 50. This should never be an issue, but thanks to this new asinine rule, it is.

Cody
Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 PM

the betting line is ridiculous-- the people saying they like this rule dont play enough live poker. the rule seems ok on paper, but when put into practice its horrible, creates so many problems.

i give it 2 months before the bellagio scraps betting line.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the "magnetic" property is from the suction effect you get with a recessed inlay on an otherwise perfectly flat plastic chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the Borgata chips are actually magnetic. They're made of plastic covered with some kind of transparent plastic film. Very brittle so you'll often see cracked chips. Pry one open a little and you'll see a magnetic disk inside. Maybe the size of a dime but not completely circular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.
If so, flipping a chip over would make it repel instead of attract another chip it is stacked on top of.
Not saying there isn't an insert. Just that the insert is not a magnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, you guys are definitely right. My apologies to jmc.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 PM

I am confused.

[ QUOTE ]
He then explained that the line on the new felts are betting lines, and any chips not across the line do not count as bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see the new felt and the lines on it?

What happens if you verbalize your bet, but are short with your chips?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't they know how not cool it is to actually anounce your bet OR put your chips into the middle in an organized fashion?

[/ QUOTE ]

The actual problem with a betting line is it introduces new angles. Now a player that wants to gauge a reaction can bring chips forward, but not cross the line with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this worse than leaving it up to the dealer's discretion whether or not the player moved their chips forward constituting a bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

If a player moves forward and another player reacts to the motion the motion is binding.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the betting line is ridiculous-- the people saying they like this rule dont play enough live poker. the rule seems ok on paper, but when put into practice its horrible, creates so many problems.

i give it 2 months before the bellagio scraps betting line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I have an article here that I wrote about the probelm with betting lines. Tony Collins first introduced this on the Gulf Coast in the late 90s and Nolan Dalla wrote about it in Card Player. On paper it seemed like a good idea adn we implemented a betting line on our NL table. We got rid of it the first night because it creates new problems.

A few problems it creates: it creates new angles where a player stops just short of the line, it is very hard to enforce as it can be difficult to tell when a player has crossed the line with chips in his hand. In NL if a player picks up a stack of chips, drops some out over the line and then returns the rest to his stack it is very difficult to know how may he crossed the line with.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MGM has had this in place for a long time

[/ QUOTE ]and there are no problems there, you'll get used to it.

Remember change is not good!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 AM

MGM doesn't enforce their betting line. It is a bet if there is forward motion. The chips do not have to be placed inside the line for it to be considered a bet.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bellagio also decided to enforce the betting line in the limit games which is [censored] retarded. One point no one mentioned is that their line is noticeably farther in than any other betting line I have seen, particularly from the end seats. I’m average height and had to lean over annoyingly far to cut chips over the line from the 3 seat. Anyone who is short is basically going to have to throw the chips out there or lean way over. This has the potential to open up a ton of angles since the dealers aren’t real consistent on enforcement and most of the players have no clue about the changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

True (but the answer to that is to fix the stupid placement of the line, not to change the rule.)

[ QUOTE ]
And all of this to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

False.
Closed Thread