Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Default exotic meats

I love to eat meat, and when I go to restaurants I tend to have what I'm most used to, which is beef, lamb, chicken and the occasional other poultry (ignore seafood for the purposes of this thread). Lately I've been wondering if I miss out on anything by not ordering some of the less common things that I occasionally see on the menu, such as kangaroo or ostrich. So, what kinds of meat do you eat that are non-traditional in the U.S. or Europe? Is there anything that you would really recommend?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: exotic meats

Tubesteak.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Buffalo and elk are both very good lean meats. I have eaten alot of wild game, both birds and animals. Quail, dove, pheasant, venison (deer), and boar are all good when prepared well. In fact bacon wrapped dove with jalepeno and venison diane are two of my favorite rare dishes.

I have always wanted to try horse as I hear it is a slightly sweet different meat.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

in boston there are 2 restaurants owned by the same people that have wild boar dishes. one is angle hair in plum tomato sause with wild boar meat balls and the other is wild boar bolegase
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tubesteak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smothered in underwear?

OP, how about trying different kinds of seafood. There's all kinds out there and many ways of making it.

Or you could get into what's been called "snout to tail" eating and find out about all the stuff that Americans tend to pass by -- jowls, tongue, brain, various organ meats, tripe, sweatbreads, etc. This is actually starting to make a comeback among American foodies, and used to be just regular everyday food.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tubesteak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smothered in underwear?

OP, how about trying different kinds of seafood. There's all kinds out there and many ways of making it.

Or you could get into what's been called "snout to tail" eating and find out about all the stuff that Americans tend to pass by -- jowls, tongue, brain, various organ meats, tripe, sweatbreads, etc. This is actually starting to make a comeback among American foodies, and used to be just regular everyday food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tripe is actually really good, the hard part is finding the restaurants that serve the food though, rather than deciding on what to try.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tubesteak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smothered in underwear?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love seafood, but I've tried a lot of stuff. I don't think I've ever eaten anything from the sea that I don't like. I just wanted to hear about different "earth animals" in this thread because I have less experience with a variety of them. I also eat a lot of tripe. brains fried in breadcrumbs are a particular favorite.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tripe is actually really good, the hard part is finding the restaurants that serve the food though, rather than deciding on what to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm turkish, and having various kinds of tripe soup with lots of garlic and vinegar after a long night of drinking is pretty standard. Right now I live in spain and most restaurants serve various kinds of tripe. They also serve a lot of cheek meat that I love. One thing I haven't gotten around to trying yet is pigs ears, about which I've heard mixed reviews.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM

Mountain oysters.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm turkish, and having various kinds of tripe soup with lots of garlic and vinegar after a long night of drinking is pretty standard. Right now I live in spain and most restaurants serve various kinds of tripe. They also serve a lot of cheek meat that I love. One thing I haven't gotten around to trying yet is pigs ears, about which I've heard mixed reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had pigs foot/ear that was used to flavor tomato sauce, I just tried a little peice, nothing spectacular. What is really funny about this whole trend is that people are paying tons of money, to eat crap. Snoot, ears, feet, tail, those are [censored] parts of the pig, and the only reason to eat them is because there was nothing else available. People are paying top dollar to eat like poor people, and dont even realize it.