Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Course Thread

Just played a round at the Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda. Was amazing, albeit the greens are crazay.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winston-Salem, NC: Tanglewood

Another insanely good value. Hosted a Senior Tour event. Park of a giant park complex, so no houses/condos.

[/ QUOTE ]
I played there for the first time a week ago. The greens weren't quite back yet which was disappointing, but for $30 or whatever, it's a great track and very difficult.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 PM

HDPM,

While the piece of land may be equivalent or better, I'm not really worried about Papago becoming the next Torrey Pines or Bethpage Black.

However, this is mostly because TP and BP are on the Pacific Ocean and near NYC, respectively. That has huge allure for the USGA. At present, Papago just overcame a couple of years of horrific underfunding where they didn't overseed ANYTHING but the greens and the course was in ruin. Now they have nice fairways, awesome greens, an improved pro shop (although the entire clubhouse/restaurant complex is totally pathetic, and I'm not picky). A multi-million dollar improvement of the course is inevitable, it's just too nice and scenic a piece of land to do otherwise, and too many people realize this. Plus it's pretty close to some very well-off parts of town with too many regulars with influence to be ignored.

It still holds a ridiculous Monday skins game loaded with scratch golfers. They set it up to yield very few birdies, and it still hosts Phoenix Open qualifying. Improvements could make it a top five muni in the country, but it would never host a major since it's 170,000 degrees here during major season.

EDIT: thanks for the comment about my round. Funniest part was I showed up so late I met them on the first green, three-putted for par on that hole, and then promptly bogied the next (very easy) hole. Didn't see the onslaught coming.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Here is a nice 27 hole course in Pennsylvania.

Public course. Almost impossible to walk. 39 bucks on the weekend and 20-29 weekday.

Bring a bunch of balls and wear your drinking shoes. You will needs a few drinks after playing this course.

Mountain Valley Golf Course
Old 04-27-2007, 11:22 PM

I'm looking forward to playing two courses on Long Island this season. Just started playing again after a few years away from the game. Once I get going again I plan on playing both of these courses.

Long Island National
Cherry Creek
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 AM

bonds - never played Gross, how does it compare to Meadowbrook/Wirth etc. for Minneapolis courses or to Braemar, which is where I usually play.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking value, Papago in Phoenix is the lock down nuts.

Designed by the guy who did Torrey Pines in San Diego, which will be hosting the US Open this year. Its a Muni, but one of the best in the country.

Best course in Phoenix besides Desert Forest and for under $30

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, you had me at hello until that last sentence. I've played Papago probably 6-7 times already this year alone, including last Sunday, when I made their merchandise sales quota for the entire quarter by dropping $120 on them.

Papago could get near Bethpage and Torrey Pines recognition (bearing in mind that those courses were unknown to most non-local casual golfers before their renovations) if they decide on one of the several bids out on it right now. They've got enough land to stretch it to however long they want if so compelled, although it's plenty of test right now.

BTW, I have a friend who just wrote a book on the history of Papago and he's doing an autograph signing out there this Sunday at 5PM.

Brag: had the best round of my life out there last month, 68 with seven birdies (six of which came between 3 and 11), no gimmies, mulligans, or liberties taken, and the last two holes were in the dark with spotters watching/listening for my shots up ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play any AGA events? I lived in Phoenix between 1998 and 2004 and probably played Papago about 100 times. Best round was 66. Shot 68-69 to qualify for the US Publinx in 2000.

Also, who wrote the book?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Palm Springs Question

i played stone eagle..it was very nice.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 PM

when i used to live in oregon i loved tokatee, one ofg a kind old growth golf experience. it was little known then not sure now. pumpkin ridge and eugene cc are also must plays in oregon. bandon dunes is a must play on earth. in socal check out rustic canyon, los verdes and moorpark cc for great tracks cheap. barona a little farther south is nice and cheap as well. farther north pasatiempo is the nuts. in vegas go with paiute and primm, they are 1/2 the price as other tracks and NICER. if you have unlimited comps play cascata.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play any AGA events? I lived in Phoenix between 1998 and 2004 and probably played Papago about 100 times. Best round was 66. Shot 68-69 to qualify for the US Publinx in 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, nice.

As for AGA events, I don't play them. I peaked when I was 11. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Golf Digest or Golf Magazine named me one of the top three in the world for my age group, and it was a very, very slippery slope downhill from there. I just ping-pong between a 1-8 handicap but like the game a lot more now that it's just for fun. I only participate/donate in Monday skins at Papago from time to time because I have a lot of friends who play in it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, who wrote the book?

[/ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine, Bill Godfrey. He's been working on it for a long time. I can't endorse it as I haven't even read it yet, but he sure put a lot of time into it. Turns out I am playing out there at noon tomorrow, his book signing is at 5PM, and since we all know Papago is a five hour round, this will time out perfectly. Trying to avoid hearing about the Suns and watching the game afterwards, but I know that will have about a 0% chance of success...