Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Juries: Yes or No?

[ QUOTE ]
The worst part about it, IMO, is letting the lawyers pick the jurors. Might as well let Joe Torre and Terry Francona pick the umpires: they'll pick people who are prone to decide the way they want the decision decided, instead of people who are, excuse the expression, fair and balanced.

[/ QUOTE ]
The concept seems like a good one. But it seems like in practice you get a bunch of people who are not highly educated deciding the fates of people. If you look at the O.J. Simpson trial, only 2 of the 12 jurors had more than a high school diploma and one didn't even have that.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The worst part about it, IMO, is letting the lawyers pick the jurors. Might as well let Joe Torre and Terry Francona pick the umpires: they'll pick people who are prone to decide the way they want the decision decided, instead of people who are, excuse the expression, fair and balanced.

[/ QUOTE ]
The concept seems like a good one. But it seems like in practice you get a bunch of people who are not highly educated deciding the fates of people. If you look at the O.J. Simpson trial, only 2 of the 12 jurors had more than a high school diploma and one didn't even have that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that about accurate with the US population? Too bad hmk banned himself so he can discuss the horrors if a college education.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you're going to have the damn system, you still need this to a degree for it to work. There has to be a mechanism for getting rid of the jurors that have already made up their minds basically. Lol, I mean imagine if Nielso gets called to jury duty. Prosecutor might as well go home.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 AM

Trial by jury is one of the most important checks we have against government tyranny, even if that power is rarely exercised these days. Juries have the right and the moral duty not only to judge the particular case, but the law itself:

Trial By Jury

My only objection to the jury system is that jury duty should not be made compulsory by the State, which is involuntary servitude.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Ex cum

[ QUOTE ]

What does "Except" mean to you, exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]Excel for dyslexics?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Fine, but let an impartial person do the culling. Attorneys aren't looking to get rid of people who have already made up their mind, they're looking for people who would be prone to vote their way. If they've already made up their mind--but made it up the correct way--so much the better.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 AM

We have professional judges, how about professional juries? Or at least voluntary jurors, people who wan to be there instead of forcing people who would rather be any plance but.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

I think the jury system probably is the best, though if we were going to make changes I would have juries make most factual findings and a sub-panel of experts handle highly technical factual findings. For example, you could have a sub-panel of experts make findings solely on DNA evidence (i.e. the blood is OJ's blood) and a jury of peers could determine other facts (i.e. the blood, while OJ's, was not left at the scene by OJ.)
Old 02-06-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have professional judges, how about professional juries? Or at least voluntary jurors, people who wan to be there instead of forcing people who would rather be any plance but.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paying people a decent daily stipend for jury service (instead of compensation below McDonald's wages) might go some ways towards an improvement.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to have a professional jury. Anything to keep peoples' fates and our public protection out of the hands of GEDs.