Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 AM

Default New to 5CD.

I learned 2-7 and A-5 oddly enough as my first poker games, and am having a really hard time adjusting to regular 5CD. If the game is 1/2, do I buy in for 10BB since there are only 2 betting rounds? Half the max for PL games? I was also wondering if someone could share a lengthly HH from a 5CD session, and kind of mentor me in the game. Appreciate and all advice and help.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: New to 5CD.

While we're on the subject, would a short-stack strategy be viable for PL/NL draw, or does the fact that there are only two betting rounds effectively rule it out?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM

If you are going to play six-handed limit draw with two blinds then you have to read Mike Weisenberg's articles on draw. These are found at www.cardplayer.com. If you are going to play pot limit or no limit draw then you have to read Nesmith Ankeny's book Winning With Game Theory. This book is rare and not cheap you will have to purchase it from www.amazon.com or find one in your local library if you are in the US.

The above two recommendations are absolutely essential.

The above two recommendations are absolutely essential.

It was so important I wrote it twice.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While we're on the subject, would a short-stack strategy be viable for PL/NL draw, or does the fact that there are only two betting rounds effectively rule it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Min buyins remain the same, there are far fewer good three-betting opportunities with reverse implied odds in PL draw, you can't take advantage of people trying to play implied-odds hands against each other because most people don't, and you virtually never get to squeeze.

I briefly tried out shortstacking half-pot badugi, and it didn't work there either. I think the fundamental flaws a shortstack strategy expoits in NLHE or PLO aren't present to nearly that degree in draw games.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM

I buy in 25 BB in limit
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM

I would avoid Ankeny. It's purely a mathematical book with no consideration to playing position, how to adjust your play or anything like that. 2+2 books are classics of modern literature compared to that one.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would avoid Ankeny. It's purely a mathematical book with no consideration to playing position, how to adjust your play or anything like that. 2+2 books are classics of modern literature compared to that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never read Ankeny. My recommendation of it is based on the fact that Mason Malmuth rates it so highly in GT&OT. It is nice to discover a different view.