Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Driver Recommendations

I'm looking to get a new driver this season. It's been a couple years since I've even looked so I have no idea what's out there other than hearing some stuff about 'square' heads and that there's a 460cc size limit.

My current weapon of scorecard destruction is a Taylor Made R580, it's either a 9 or 10.5 degree (I forget) stiff with a Fujikara shaft. It's been a pretty decent club, although last season was a struggle. I'm not a long hitter anymore - my distance has declined steadily to the point where 240 is a pretty decent drive. Not much roll at my home course. I tend to draw the ball and am frequently fighting a severe hook.

I'd like to find something that's a bit easier to hit straight and of course I wouldn't mind a few extra yards.

Help a brother out, give me some ideas so I can go down to the pro shop/driving range and test a few.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Driver Recommendations

I personally only recommend three brands for drivers.

Cleveland, Taylor Made, and Titleist . They all have new models this year, so you can look at any of those. Although, you can save about 250$ by going with a one year old model.

I personally have a Titleist 983K which is a 2 year old model. It can be had for about 150 now, and is a complete beast. I may upgrade to a R7 Taylor Made later this year though.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Go to Golfsmith or whatever golf store is close to home and try out as many drivers as you can. You can get a feel for the club, but you really don't know where the ball is going.

Manufacturers have demo days in which you can try out their clubs at the driving range. Here is the schedule for Cleveland:
http://www.clevelandgolf.com/demo_days.html

I'm sure most of the other major club makers have demo days as well...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:45 PM

re: demo clubs, check this site out:

http://www.golfclubdemo.com/

they'll ship you demo clubs for you to use on your own, price starts at $20.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Go to a demo day and make sure you get on the launch monitor. I just went to one this past weekend (trip report to follow) and was surprised by the stats. It's all about getting the right combo of launch/spin.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM

I'd say stay away from the square drivers which I've heard nothing good about and get something 460cc. Basically everything is 460cc so that isn't hard to find. To be honest, the driver you have is probably fine, getting launch monitoring done and getting a custom tuned driver is all I'd recommend. I have a taylor made 320 tour, r580, and cleveland launcher comp which is basically 3 different generations of drivers, and I don't hit any of them noticably farther or straighter than the others.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM

I bought a TaylorMade R5 over the winter. First quality driver i've ever had. Until last year I could never hit one, so I didn't waste the money.

I got it new, still in the plastic, for $105 on ebay. (I'm still seeing them in stores for 200-250 despite the R7s) A couple months ago there were tons of them out there, various degrees/flex. Three rounds into the season and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM

If you are having trouble with straightness you can really gain alot by going to these new higher lofted drivers out there, they are just silly straight and you don't really lose much distance, I know Nike and Callaway make some 13 degree + drivers.

You should really probably get fitted properly for a driver it makes a big difference, especially in head loft and shaft flex.

I've really liked the square drivers, they are super forgiving heel to toe, they don't help you get the club square at impact though.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a TaylorMade R5 over the winter. First quality driver i've ever had. Until last year I could never hit one, so I didn't waste the money.

I got it new, still in the plastic, for $105 on ebay. (I'm still seeing them in stores for 200-250 despite the R7s) A couple months ago there were tons of them out there, various degrees/flex. Three rounds into the season and I couldn't be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the R5 Dual 9.5 degree driver about 8 months ago. It has improved my game so much. If you look at this driver be sure to see if the N (neutral) or D (draw) setting is best for you.