Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Default relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

this has been long debated, im wondering the general opinion about corrolation between intelligence and SAT scores. i know there are many arguments that the SAT doesn't really cover material that is related to how intelligent someone is but it also seems that it couldn't be a coincidence that, and this is just from my personal experience, more intelligent people tend to do better on the test. also to simplify the matter lets limit intelligence to an academic context
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

Define intelligence first.

One would assume that there is some correlation between intelligence and SAT scores. With that said, the SAT tests a lot of very specific knowledge that I wouldn't consider "intelligence". I wouldn't say that knowing the vocabulary words or the shortcuts to solving some of the math problems means that you are smarter, it just means that you've had more education.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 PM

I don't know why we get so hung up on this, I know what furyshade is trying to say.

When I meet someone, after a very short time I can say, he's intelligent/dumb/super intelligent etc... Without defining what I mean one little bit, I am sure that over a correct sample size, the people I assigned to be super intelligent would outperform the people I assigned as intelligent etc... on average in these AND IQ tests.

I don't know how we can not atribute any significance to this correlation, for want of a unerversally agreeable definition of 'intelligent'.

It just doesn't seem, well, intelligent.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:16 PM

In high school I took all the AP and honors english, history, and science classes but not math. When I took the SAT I took it once and scored 640 on the verbal and 420 on the math in 1998. My math education was the pits in high school, a total joke. I am talking I never learned geometry or very much Algebra 2. So based on my results and quality of education throughout math, english, science, and history, I tend to think that SAT scores take into account your quality of education as well as your level of intelligence.

Now when I took the GRE in 04 I did poor on it as well. I think I scored 1000 for quantitative and verbal with verbal being much higher. However on the analytical writing part I scored a 5 out of 6 which I was told is very good (wonder what the % is for ppl getting a 6). I credit much of my poor results on this test to my poor math skills which are nonexistent outside basic statistics and my lack of vocabulary. So to me this is a test of how much math you remember from high school unless you major in math and how big your vocabulary is. When I got my results it was no shocker to me that I did the best in the analytical writing part. I actually thought I was going to score 800 or lower on the Q+V. Luckily for me I had a prof who really wanted me in the program so my results did not matter.

I took an IQ test in middle school and scored a 122 on it, or two points away from being considered "academically gifted" and put in advanced math and english classes which is why I ended up in poor math classes but the best history science and english classes since the math you could not select but you could the others regardless of your "academically gifted" standing.

Cliffnotes: I think the whole point I am trying to drive home here is that your results on these tests are determined by your quality of education, how hard you worked in school, AND your level of intelligence.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However on the analytical writing part I scored a 5 out of 6 which I was told is very good (wonder what the % is for ppl getting a 6).

[/ QUOTE ]

a 5 on writing on the GRE is 73rd percentile.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:47 PM

I scored a 180 on the LSAT. This should be ample proof for 2+2'ers that there is no significant correlation between standardized test scores and intelligence.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I scored a 180 on the LSAT. This should be ample proof for 2+2'ers that there is no significant correlation between standardized test scores and intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can derive this from ONE result?

Maybe we should also define 'correlation'.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you/did you goto law school?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:19 PM

100% dependant on your definition of intelligence. there are many possible definitions and they are all arbitrary
Old 11-22-2007, 06:25 PM

one thing about the SAT: there are no hard problems on it. it is more about your "batting average" on easy problems than it is about mental depth.