Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

Lap dances? $5 per dance or $0 if the dance/her company sucked. Ironically, if I really like a girl and keep her for 4 songs ($80), I'll just tip $10. If I wanted to give her $100, I'd just ask for another dance, right? I'm certainly not tipping if she gives a bad lap dance. Strippers also tend to be demanding with the tipping. Whatever. Especially there, I'm only tipping for good service.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lap dances? $5 per dance or $0 if the dance/her company sucked. Ironically, if I really like a girl and keep her for 4 songs ($80), I'll just tip $10. If I wanted to give her $100, I'd just ask for another dance, right? I'm certainly not tipping if she gives a bad lap dance. Strippers also tend to be demanding with the tipping. Whatever. Especially there, I'm only tipping for good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I seriously can't imagine going into a strip club with this mentality.

I don't like strippers or their lap dances too much, but there is no way I'm going to take 4 dances from a girl and tip her $10.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like strippers or their lap dances too much, but there is no way I'm going to take 4 dances from a girl and tip her $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/o knowing a lot about the economics of a strip club, I would say they are a different story b/c the girls sometimes charge different prices for different services, and also hot girls sometimes charge more. really, isn't the whole thing like a tip?

I get confused what I'm tipping the girl for in a strip club. I do it, but I don't understand why.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't even know why we need the driver. It would rock if taxis were just parked randomly and if you needed one, you go in and slide a credit card to get the car running and choose whether or not you want insurance. Then drive to where you gotta go, and leave the car for the next user.

This would rule so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't some town try this with bikes? I think it worked well but then people started stealing the bikes or something.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM

shaniac: I tip Vegas waitresses the same for a mojito or a vodka rocks. I tip bartenders more for the mojito.

reno: "I don't want to be a douche and ask for $2 back from a $20 on a $14 cab fare." How does that make you a douche? I don't get it. How much do you tip cocktail waitresses per drink in Vegas? How much do you tip the maids? I tip them $5/drink and $5/night (more if the room is a mess). If you tip less than that, are you being a douche?

Gamble: My point was simply that you can always tip more in just about any circumstance. And that's fine. It seems weird to me that you accept the standard of $1/winning hand that has developed for tipping poker dealers and don't think that is cheap, but feel like the standard that many people use for cabbies is cheap. People like Nate aren't tipping what they tip to cabbies because they are cheap, they are doing that because it has developed as an acceptable standard when it comes to tipping cabbies in America.

PITTM: I think you'll just need to suck it up and tip well the first time at some places where you plan to visit more.

All: I bet at least some of you bitching about people not tipping cabbies enough stiff the maids. I think that is far worse.

suzzer: "I'm assuming you always order some kind of single-malt or caviar-martini thing that's $20+/drink?" No, in Vegas I'm usually drinking either scotch or vodka soda or Corona. At regular bars, I tip $1/drink unless it's a labor intensive drink, in which case I tip $2.

All: I tip $5 to Vegas cocktail waitresses because I am generally just burning up money in the pit and just want to have lots of fun and have great service. I know I'm overtipping and don't care, but that doesn't automatically make all the people tipping less cheap bastards. I also bet $5/hand for the dealer anytime I'm winning.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

w/o knowing a lot about the economics of a strip club, I would say they are a different story b/c the girls sometimes charge different prices for different services, and also hot girls sometimes charge more. really, isn't the whole thing like a tip?

I get confused what I'm tipping the girl for in a strip club. I do it, but I don't understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

kneel, I've feel the same way. I'm already giving her $20 for a 3-minute song, which I'm fine with. I know she's not paying the club per song, but a flat rate. As far as, "OMG, only $10 tip for 4-songs!!" Finding a guy willing to drop $90 on her in 20 minutes is already a win for a dancer.

Shaniac,

You're already paying her $80, the tip is whatever you wish to pay over that. I'm assuming your response, especially given your other responses in this thread, mean that you're tipping $30 or so?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Nate, what city ARE you from anyway ?

[ QUOTE ]
"The average cab ride is probably ten minutes and there's very little the cabbie can do to change the experience, ... '

I have one question, what big city do you take a hundred 10 minute cabrides in annually ? Take the subway or fork over a decent tip to the guy who makes your life a little less subterranean, while burning gas money waiting for you to ride and throw him that big $1.20 you think is adequate.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Chicago the public transit is generally very good for going North-South, but not East-West. For example taking the CTA from Lincoln Park (where I live right now) to downtown is easy. But taking it to Wicker Park (where I eat/drink/visit friends frequently) is a pain in the ass; you have to take the bus and make at least one transfer.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Ahhhh, I didn't realize you meant free drinks from the pit. That just makes good financial sense - as the faster you get drunk the more you win.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM

Old 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

my favorite restaurant in santa cruz just switched from a traditional restaurant tipping scheme to a built in, mandatory 15% service charge. This sucks for many reasons:
a) they assume they will get no tip and perform as such.
b) getting takeout sucks because you pay 15% for them to put some food in a bag for you and then they look at you disapprovingly when you dont give them MORE tip.
c) Other customers have realized this and attendance has plummetted and the food now seems to be getting more expensive.
d) when i get awesome service, i will regularly tip 20-30%, in the 5 times ive been there since their new scheme, i have gotten awesome service 0 times.

i know, from this it sounds like there is no reason to go there. But they have the best food of any chinese place i have ever been to and its not close. I think the tipping decision was made because its a fairly expensive(13-20 buck an entree for chinese) restaurant near a college campus. I get the feeling lots of college kids were thinking "ill splurge a little and go to o'mei....oh sick, the bill is 70 bucks for 2 of us, we cant afford to tip. consider yourself stiffed".

so yeah, long ranty post. Moral of the story: tips are good because they make for better service. mandatory tips are bad because they demand mediocre service.