Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: **The Official NY-Boston Weekend Series Thread**

[ QUOTE ]
huh? so you're saying a rotation of wang, mussina, pettitte, igawa, pavano with rasner/karstens/hughes as potential fill-ins isn't any good?

pavano was obviously going to get hurt, but having 2 other pitchers on the DL right away was unexpected. very few teams have the depth to overcome that. igawa has also been worse than expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my main point was the 3 1b/dh's being horrible roster construction, but yes, i dont think the yankees rotation was really any good to start. counting on pavano and igawa to give you solid production was a reach, and with the injury history of everyone outside of mussina, you had to figure the backups would have a significant impact (although, not all at once)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
huh? so you're saying a rotation of wang, mussina, pettitte, igawa, pavano with rasner/karstens/hughes as potential fill-ins isn't any good?

pavano was obviously going to get hurt, but having 2 other pitchers on the DL right away was unexpected. very few teams have the depth to overcome that. igawa has also been worse than expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my main point was the 3 1b/dh's being horrible roster construction, but yes, i dont think the yankees rotation was really any good to start. counting on pavano and igawa to give you solid production was a reach, and with the injury history of everyone outside of mussina, you had to figure the backups would have a significant impact (although, not all at once)

[/ QUOTE ]

counting on igawa to be at least not terrible wasn't a stretch - PECOTA gave him an ERA in the high 4s, IIRC. he's left a ton of balls up in the zone though.

and exactly right, not at all at once. rasner and karstens aren't awful - they're 6th and 7th starters, who can go 5 innings and allow 2-4 runs. they are what they are. it's hard to sign a quality pitcher and then tell him 'oh, by the way, go to scranton to start the year and make sure to pass through waivers'.

yes, the 3 1B-DH thing is horrible - doug mientkiewicz should be somewhere, anywhere else. the fact that the yankees have a non-factor as a backup catcher i can live with - the fact that they can't find first basemen who can hit is not.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:40 PM

I don't mind if the 1b can't hit...1-8 in the order is suppose to hit and they aren't...Abreu is in a terrible slump, Damon isn't 100%, Cabrera isn't hitting...yet they still have the most runs scored in the leauge...hitting isn't and never will be the problem w/ this team.

WE CAN'T PITCH...that's our problem...We don't have a power starting pitcher in the rotation (maybe Hughes but we'll see) that's a problem...We don't have a bonified #1 starter in the rotation that can stop a team dead...that's a problem.

- JA
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ugly. Yanks need some help on the mound. In any shape or form.

i.e. RECAPTURE THE DAVID WELLS GLORY

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, this could be the Rockets biggest payday ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup