Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Default K-High against a LAG (KQ)

Comments on any street welcome.

Villain is a LAG over a smallish sample, raising over a third of the hands he's dealt.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Thought about 3-betting, but w/ SB already in I called.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Awesome card.

River: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Standard?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: K-High against a LAG (KQ)

Looks okay.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM

You're not folding and I see no reason to raise, so I like it. Don't expect to win especially frequently after the river bet, but enough to show a profit obviously. I'd say he fires turn and river with a worse or equal hand perhaps 30-50% of the time. I frequently see desperate bluffs like this with pocket pairs that got counterfeited, a flush draw hoping to push you off high cards, and another king that doesn't understand that no better hand is folding.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 PM

I play it the same.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM

I like this hand. I think if you were in the SB 3-betting would be appropriate, but you might as well just call here.

I like the flop check/call. I wouldn't give the button credit for an ace.

After the turn ace falls, you're golden. I think you're definitely ahead or splitting, definitely not losing. I think you can check/call down from here comfortably.

The real question is, what happens if a blank falls (like 2h). Do you still check/call the turn? I have trouble in spots like this because I know I'm ahead a lot, but I end up comitting 2 BBs to win somewhere between 5 and 5.5 BBs at showdown. That's a situation a really hate to play against LAGs.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The real question is, what happens if a blank falls (like 2h). Do you still check/call the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. The Ace is great not just because it cuts the likelyhood of villain having an Ace, but because it counterfeits a ton of PPs. If a blank would've fell, I couldn't just assume villain had high cards smaller than mine and call down thinking I'm ahead. And if behind, I don't have the odds to draw at pairing my K or Q even if they are still good. I'd c/f the turn if it was a blank.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 PM

I think I would c/f the turn too. The tough part for me is, that argument is so convincing that I don't know why I should bother calling the flop.

what I'm trying to say is, in blind steal situations aggressive players will autobet the flop, and often autobet the turn. This means that even if we think we have a decent chance of being ahead on the flop, the villain has the iniative and if we wanted to show the hand down, we'd have to spend 2.5 BBs from the flop.

So I guess my question is, why are we calling the flop? If the answer is because the Villain is likely to be bluffing, how do we exploit that on the turn? it seems like we'd have to c/f most turn cards anyway.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I guess my question is, why are we calling the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because even if we're not ahead on the flop, we often have enough outs to see the turn. When villain doesn't have an A or a 9 but is still ahead, Hero can pair his K,Q or hit the unlikely backdoor straight to win. Also, when hero is ahead, villain will sometimes check behind the turn, and when he does, Hero can call a river bet.

Edit: typo