Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Online player struggling live in home game

I play mainly online and am a winning player, cashing in 78% of my last 2500 tourneys, mainly 3 to 5 table SNG, with over a 40% first place finishes. After playing live in a couple of freerolls and winning the end of year event I was invited to join a well known medium stakes monthly tournament series. Buy in is $100 and usually there are 24-36 players with all money going to top 5 finishers, a very topheavy award structure. Players start with 100000 in chips and blinds start at 250-500 and double every 45 minutes until the fourth level, then every thirty minutes.

With the online success I thought I would pwn these part time players and have not had any success at all. Final tabled a couple of times but after 8 attempts not once in the money.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? If so what ajustments would you make to your game with this structure? I play it the same as I would online, very tight early and picking up the pace around the fourth or fifth level loosening up and stealing blinds etc... The problem I think is these players are very tight and differ greatly from the online players I play regularely and I have a really tough time getting max value out of my big hands and spew too much late with marginal hands.

How would you ajust?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Online player struggling live in home game

maybe the blinds arent going up as fast as your usual online tourney and you need to stay tighter longer- are you calculating M's?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM

I think that is a valid point as in the tourneys online that I crush last maybe a little over an hour, an hour and a half max and the final tables I have made in this game were 3 to 5 hours in.

I think part of the problem could be also by playing SO tight for 2 or 3 hours I have a hard time getting paid off when I do hit a big hand.

Is there any merit in playing live with thinking players to play a couple of small pots in a copuple of early levels with marginal cards to show down I am not always playing so tight?

It just seems like my value bets never get paid off. Maybe I should be making more moves later with the TAG style I play I should have more fold equity later with a solid TAG image.

Maybe in the micros and lower buy in online tourneys I do not have as many solid tight thinking players as in this game and need to vary my play more.

Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 PM

if they are supertight then you should be happy with stealing and amassing chips, right?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if they are supertight then you should be happy with stealing and amassing chips, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I think I have just picked some wrong spots. Unlike online I always find myself shortstacked late and in a push-fold situation and it always seems like when I push, even with what should have fold equity these players loosen up, call and bust my a$$.

I think in tonights tourney I am going to loosen up aearlier once I get a feel for the table and try to build a stack by the time I usually get into trouble.

I approach online play as play to win, ITM means nothing. That is why my ITM is 78% and my 1st place rate is as high as it is. I have played this tourney different to get itm and that is probably my biggest leak in this tourney.

I have been telling myself to play to win all day and that is the mentality I will approach it with tonight as there are some new players and the prize pool is the biggest ever with first taking home $2100.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play mainly online and am a winning player, cashing in 78% of my last 2500 tourneys, mainly 3 to 5 table SNG, with over a 40% first place finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really play tournaments, but isnt this like insane over 2500 tournaments? nobody has mentioned it yet, but 78% cash and 40% WIN? i have a hard time fathoming that is accurate. I have no real reason to doubt you, but that seems reaaaaaallly good.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:30 PM

These are the 3.25 and 6.50 3 and 5 table tourneys on stars, they are what I built my entire online roll with. Very soft and with patient solid play you really can do well in these, I have.

For instance last night I had only played 3 out of 68 hands and was 1st out of 23 remaining players, which I think is my problem with this live tourney in that those three hands I got paid off big online would have been smaller pots in this game because of tighter players that know how to fold a hand.

I did not post this as a brag, please do not take it that way. I posted this to draw a comparison and get a feeler for possible leaks in my live tourney play that do not manifest themselves online.

Also another thought is I play 90% 25nl and 50nl now with very few tourneys online, the cash games are way more profitable with increasingly limited time. Maybe I am taking too much of a cash game mentality to this tourney.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 PM

I didnt take it as a brag, it was clear why you are posting this. I was just surprised at those numbers, you obviously have a good handle on online multi table sng's. What you are describing sounds like it is the same people time after time, you need to concentrate on the other players individual styles, this is a big thing lacking from your online success i'm sure since you aren't playing with the same players time and time again. This should help you get in better situations and able to build chips to make a strong run.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM

name please, i wanna sharkscope you
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM

I think it's obvious that he DOESNT have a good handle on how to play.

3 out of 68 hands?

It's pretty obvious why you don't win in a live game, you're a nit.