Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Decisions to join or not join the military

I was driving to my unit the other day and as I look at cars that drive by I think to myself if that person had served in the military. This of course made me wonder why someone would decide not to choose this way of life. I know but that sounds odd since joining the military seems more of a less persued decision.

I can say for certain that I've known I've wanted to serve in the military since I was in 7th or 8th grade. I've always wanted to serve my country and do my duty. The last person in my family to serve were both of my grandfathers who did in World War II for the US Army and the Canadian Navy.

What were your reasons for deciding to be in the military or not? Are you from a military family and it was expected? Are you against weapons? Etc. I'm very interested in hearing the decisions not to join (let me clarify: there is nothing wrong with not joining, I'd like to hear other thoughts)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

I didn't join the military because I didn't fancy getting shot or blown up.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:10 AM

cuz i dont want to have somebody treat my like [censored], work long ass hours for [censored] pay...oh wait.

actually cuz i dont want to get my face blown off in iraq like my friend, who suddenly decided to join the army several years ago.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Are either of you... homosexual?

What, you mean, flaming? or...

It's just a standard question we ask.

No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.

Yeah, would they send us some place special?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 AM

Joining the military never even entered my mind. I dont mind weapons or wars.

I just look at my other options and they are far better the joining the military (i.e. for me, obviously if i knew i would become a top general or something it might be different).

I dont feel any sense of "duty" to my fellow country mates that I need to repay by being in the military. I think being nice to everyone and paying taxes is duty enough for me.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can say for certain that I've known I didn't want anything to do with the military since I was in 7th or 8th grade. I never wanted to serve my country and do my duty.

But when the economy turned to [censored] and I couldn't find a job in 1991, it was my only option.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, my days in the army were the best days of my life. I went in a boy, and came out a man. I'd recommend it to anyone (who is smart enough to get a job that keeps them away from the front lines of any war that might break out). I hope my kids all decide to serve when they get old enough.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 AM

I joined the military at 17, got out at 21.
I went in a boy, I came out a boy.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Joining the military never even entered my mind. I dont mind weapons or wars.

I just look at my other options and they are far better the joining the military (i.e. for me, obviously if i knew i would become a top general or something it might be different).

I dont feel any sense of "duty" to my fellow country mates that I need to repay by being in the military. I think being nice to everyone and paying taxes is duty enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much exactly the way I feel, with the exception that I do mind wars.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM

When I was growing up, we would say that such and such "gave up." This was our way of saying that someone joined the military.

Everyone I knew that went into boot camp came out effed up. They were going to infantry, because that is what poor kids from tha 'hood get pushed into.

I don't approve of recruiters in classes and calling 16 and 17 years olds at home. It is sad that they are promising to pay for college and promising great credit, etc, when there are conditions for these things. Of coarse, these conditions are not mentioned until the papers have your x on them.

I do know people who were in the military. It seems like 50-50 are for or against it. When I was in San Diego, I fought many military kids.

I couldn't imagine not having the freedom to choose. I am told that I could travel. I traveled. I was told I could learn. I learned. I don't like guns. I have had them pointed to my face, and these are from people who were far less likely to shoot than some Iraqi kid. I do not have the nerve to point a gun at anyone. I could not live with myself if I knew I destroyed national treasures, killed fathers and mothers, and forced children to spend the rest of their lives without an arm or a leg.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

I have always wondered why someone would want to join the military. I have assumed most people join because they need help paying for school. The thought of risking my life every day is not appealing to me in the least. Also, I would not want to be sent to fight in a war that I don't agree with or not completely understand. I have never been much of a political person either so maybe this is also part of the reason. But the main reason is because I don't want to die at a young age.